182 (730) engine conversion...????

I was down my mates garage yday when a lad turned up in a 182 turbo....It seemed like a simply setup and not sure of the power gains....

The question is then (and it might be a stupid one), given there are already supercharger, turbocharger and TB's available for the 182 engine, wouldn't it be easier to transplant the 730 engine in, and start from there???

Last edited:
You may be able to convert the kit to a 197 with some expert help.

I was down my mates garage yday when a lad turned up in a 182 turbo....It seemed like a simply setup and not sure of the power gains....

The question is then (and it might be a stupid one), given there are already supercharger, turbocharger and TB's available for the 182 engine, wouldn't it be easier to transplant the 730 engine in, and start from there???

why not turbo the engine you have ?

it wont be too different from fitting a turbo to the 182 engine

you would gain lower compression so it would aid in forced induction and reliability. I would suggest that fitting low comp pistons to the 197 engine is the better option. That way you have the low comp of the 182 with the modified head and intake setup of the 197.

The point I was making is that those conversions (supercharger, turbos....) already exist for the 182 engine (tired and tested. They dont exist for the 197 as yet?????

Megane engine is the only thing you'd want to drop in tbh. It'd be far more cost effective / reliable.

I would agree with that myself. I would avoid charging an engine that wasn't designed for it. The Meg engines (225 or 250) as brilliant and seen like a good place to build power from with the mods and maps readily available. Also it wont cost anymore, they will probably both require new looms and their ecu reprogramming.

The point I was making is that those conversions (supercharger, turbos....) already exist for the 182 engine (tired and tested. They dont exist for the 197 as yet?????

ECU control mate, nobody can either be bothered to work the 197s technical ECU out or has failed miserably ( ktecs turbo conversion died and Streamlines supercharger kit is well delayed ).

Buy a 182.

Gearbox would be a nightmare too, and I'm sure it has shorter gearing than a 197?

Not worth it in my opinion, the 225 is the route I'd take, if any.

Saying that wouldnt the gearing be totally wrong for the clio if you dropped a megane engine in? They only rev to 6k?

If you dropped the engine in then I think you'd cahnge the box too, not sure on the compatibility between a 197 and a 225 box.

Similar Thread Suggestions