197 gearbox help

Hi people. got a 197 cup.
Go to start the car, go to put it in 1st gear to pull of and its so hard to get into gear you have to really push it in its the same in reverse. once its gone through a couple of timrs its fine nice amd smooth, It was in my local dealer last week were they cahnged thegear box oil on it but seems to still do it not quiet as bad but stll does it.
Ha sany one else had amy problems like this and what was it ??

mine can be really bad or was - used a different synthetic gear oil and it has improved it - not perfect but better than it was

have you made sure there is no softness to the clutch pedal and it is firm all the way through its travel - the dealers should have checked this anyway!

Mine was pretty bad too but like foxspeed, changed the gearbox oil and its much better now. I put some fuchs oil in

Hey Jimpy,

There was a thread about this just the other day, i do have the same problem.
Mine been in loads of times to two different dealer and they cannot fault the gearbox, they did change the gearbox oil which made no difference. What the gearbox oil change did show was that the trouble i was having selecting a gear (typically 1st when stood and changing into second) was that the oil was clean, good sign.

My gear change is horrible unless i get out of the city and warm the gearbox up, its snatchy and hard to engage as described above.

Just wanted to share that with you and from others comments i think its just a Renault thing!

Mine was pretty bad too but like foxspeed, changed the gearbox oil and its much better now. I put some fuchs oil in

Absolutely - Silkolene SRG - i used this in my Evo's which suffer badly with gearboxes at high power levels, no problems since 8)

When the 1-st gear feels very hard and it´s almost impossible to shift (the car is standing still- engine idling) I shift in 6-th gear and then I try 1-st gear again. Works always for me.

Yea, pretty easy to change. Drain from the bottom, need an 8mm square socket. Fill from the passenger side, it's easiest to remove the wheel to do this but make sure the car is level (I removed wheel and lowered the jack back down to make it level

Yea, pretty easy to change. Drain from the bottom, need an 8mm square socket. Fill from the passenger side, it's easiest to remove the wheel to do this but make sure the car is level (I removed wheel and lowered the jack back down to make it level

Cheers BenW