95 Octane vs 97/98 Octane?

Just a quick question out of interest, has anyone actually found any difference between using 95 and 97 octane. I saw a video from fifth gear a while back showing the Subaru got a fair bit more HP and Torque using a higher octane fuel but does it make much difference for Clio's. If it does then surely this would be the easiest way to get more HP on the cheap. :smiley:

I use V Power Nitro in my bike and cars. I use it for the cleaning agents and smoothness that it delivers. Any power gains would be not worth talking about.

Reactions: LukeBridge
I use V Power Nitro in my bike and cars. I use it for the cleaning agents and smoothness that it delivers. Any power gains would be not worth talking about.
Ah right thought as much :smile: Yeah i guess some fuels have additives in so at least you'd be benefiting slightly :/ Cheers for the reply

I usually use Tesco 99 but had to use the Shell 97 (?) one and it was noticeably rougher, but wasn't bad.

Compared with your bogstandard unleaded the difference is extremely noticeable though.

I use Tesco 99 octane, the car runs great on Shell 98 & even BP 97, but I definitely think they're all better than 95 octane stuff. The higher octane fuels definitely work for our cars. I also bung in a shot of Redex at each full tank.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Always V-Power as my car is mapped to run on premium fuel
You won't gain any power using high octane but you will get the maximum the car can give.

Reactions: Pav
Tesco Momentum and I believe V-Power Nitro+ are both 99 ron. V-Power always used to be, however there's nothing about the RON rating on their website I can find. Wikipedia seems to suggest in the UK it's 99 RON. I found my 197 was best on Momentum, it didn't like V-Power. My MPS was the opposite and my 200t seems to enjoy anything! Ha ha! But I always run them on premium fuel, even if I can't get 98 I'll put 97 to be as close as poss to what it's supposed to have. Interestingly, a friend of mine ran his 220t Trophy on normal fuel and after putting a tank of V-Power in, he said the car was popping and banging from exhaust (not loudly), even in normal mode and it felt better.

Last edited:
I use V Power Nitro in my bike and cars. I use it for the cleaning agents and smoothness that it delivers.

i can clearly remember an evo magazine article where the inside of an engine was shown, before and after using shell v-power. since then, if possible, only v-power in my cars.

Car runs 10x better on V-Power, far smoother. Faster? I've not noticed any bhp gains, just smoothness and less judders.

Tesco 99 also very good.

Mine gets friendly with the local Sainsbury's think there's is 97/98... upside is get nectar points :smile:

Mine doesn't really like Shell VPower, it seems to me that it prefers Momentum99. Heck, it feels like it runs better on Asda 95 compared to VPower...

It is strange how they react differently. I found the biggest difference was the cold start and general jerking in the 197.

Similar Thread Suggestions