A/C repair

Big Ben

Loves to rag the VAG!
Paid Member
After a long motorway stint on Sunday I think I might look into fixing my climate control as it's currently fubar!

I've had it regassed and that didn't work. So can anyone help me with what potential components I might need to replace as I'm totally in the dark:disappointed:

I've heard talk of compressors and condensers but I'm really not sure what's what!?

Thanks in advance

It tends to be the condensers that go. I've heard it's quite a costly job - maybe go for an AC delete kit instead and favour weight reduction over beefing up? [emoji14]

Reactions: ///M and Big Ben
Can you hear the clunking of the compressor when you switch on the aircon? If so, then the easiest thing to do would be to remove the bumper and have a look at the condenser - looks like a radiator, sits in front of the water radiator. Mine was full of holes so I took it out. It's really easy to remove and refit a new one, could easily do it yourself. Check eurocarparts for deals, they usually have 50-60% off so you can get one for around £100-120.

Reactions: Big Ben
Can you hear the clunking of the compressor when you switch on the aircon? If so, then the easiest thing to do would be to remove the bumper and have a look at the condenser - looks like a radiator, sits in front of the water radiator. Mine was full of holes so I took it out. It's really easy to remove and refit a new one, could easily do it yourself. Check eurocarparts for deals, they usually have 50-60% off so you can get one for around £100-120.
Cheers Sean I'll have a listen tonight.
Assuming I can't hear a clunking when turning ac on, does that mean it's more than likely the compressor is fecked, or an electrical issue?

Last edited:
Cheers Sean I'll have a listen tonight.
Assuming I can't hear a clunking when turning ac on, does that mean it's more than likely the compressed is fecked, or an electrical issue?

yeah possibly, or the actual control panel, but most likely the compressor.

Ok. Nipped home to try out what you said @Sean197
No audible clunking of compressor starting up:frowning:
The control panel operates the fan and temperature no problem and a/c illuminates. Just no cold air.

If the gas has all leaked out then it's sounding more and more like a compressor issue to me rather than electrical. I'll have to see what my options are.
Any idea if compressor change is labour intensive?

Ok. Nipped home to try out what you said @Sean197
No audible clunking of compressor starting up:frowning:
The control panel operates the fan and temperature no problem and a/c illuminates. Just no cold air.

If the gas has all leaked out then it's sounding more and more like a compressor issue to me rather than electrical. I'll have to see what my options are.
Any idea if compressor change is labour intensive?

I've just had a thought - if the system is empty i.e. no gas, then it might not run as a safety measure, to stop it running 'dry'.
I think the cheapest thing for you to do would be to take it in for a pressure test, if there are no leaks then I would assume it's the compressor, or indeed the pressure switch maybe? Compressor is a few hundred quid at least, but you could always chance a second hand one if you don't use aircon that often.

Reactions: ///M
I've just had a thought - if the system is empty i.e. no gas, then it might not run as a safety measure, to stop it running 'dry'.
I think the cheapest thing for you to do would be to take it in for a pressure test, if there are no leaks then I would assume it's the compressor, or indeed the pressure switch maybe? Compressor is a few hundred quid at least, but you could always chance a second hand one if you don't use aircon that often.
Thanks for your help Sean. I'll get some prices on compressors old and new before I take the plunge. If it's silly money I might leave it alone. Cheers

Reactions: Sean197
Ben, I did a bit of reading up on this last week before booking in with Kwik Fit for the recharge. As Sean says, I don't think the system comes on if the levels are too low, so that's why you're not hearing it clunk a few seconds after pressing the button. Mine did exactly the same thing as it was empty. Saying that, I fully expect my system to shat its recharge out over the next few weeks!
If you do book it in, they run a pressure test first to see if there are any leaks BUT I've been told that the test seals the leaks anyway so you can't actually tell. My mate has a 200 and he said he put some kind of sealant into the system and it's still working.

Ben, I did a bit of reading up on this last week before booking in with Kwik Fit for the recharge. As Sean says, I don't think the system comes on if the levels are too low, so that's why you're not hearing it clunk a few seconds after pressing the button. Mine did exactly the same thing as it was empty. Saying that, I fully expect my system to shat its recharge out over the next few weeks!
If you do book it in, they run a pressure test first to see if there are any leaks BUT I've been told that the test seals the leaks anyway so you can't actually tell. My mate has a 200 and he said he put some kind of sealant into the system and it's still working.
Well that shall be my first port of call then. Thanks Micah. Got to be worth risking a few quid to save a load?
Even if it only lasts until the end of summer I'd be happy:sunglasses:

Well that shall be my first port of call then. Thanks Micah. Got to be worth risking a few quid to save a load?
Even if it only lasts until the end of summer I'd be happy:sunglasses:

Worth a try - see if you can find a discount code, else it's £49. You won't get charged if they find a leak during the pressure test.

Mine also not working.

Have paperwork from when I brought the car and a body shop diagnosed it as the condenser. (not sure to belive it as was just from a body shop)

Also friend of mine was getting his regassed by a mobile guy and he said without evening looking at it, it will be the condenser as they alway go on these.

For around £150 and a DIY just going to give that a go first.

Mine also not working.

Have paperwork from when I brought the car and a body shop diagnosed it as the condenser. (not sure to belive it as was just from a body shop)

Also friend of mine was getting his regassed by a mobile guy and he said without evening looking at it, it will be the condenser as they alway go on these.

Can get a Valeo condenser from ECP for £150 which I could probably at a push, fit myself. But I'd then need to get it regassed which must be £40-50? Undecided

how long since it was gassed? did just add gas or vac it out measure and recharge the system and did they use any tracer dye?

if the pressure drops the system will not work - the gas carries the lubrication oil for the pressure pump

there is a wiring/plug problem for the electrics that go to the compressor hub clutch and stops them form working

Mine also not working.

The body shop was an ex Renault dealer setup so they should know what they were talking about.

Reactions: TrackM3
Ben I've got a spare condenser if you are interested. I bought it when I realised mine was leaking but it was eventually covered by warranty so it was replaced with a new one.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Ben I've got a spare condenser if you are interested. I bought it when I realised mine was leaking but it was eventually covered by warranty so it was replaced with a new one.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Thanks Yiannis. If this re-gas doesn't hold up I might be in touch.