ABS/ESP/Service lights on

Car hasn't turned a wheel since Sunday morning so it's been sat outside in the snow since. Just dug the car out the snow, with some wheel spinning and pushing it moved however noticed the brakes were odd straight away. Move 100 yards more hey presto! serivce light, ABS, ESP light. I know it can happen on the Clio's and it's usually the sensor but has any had any problems with the cold weather causing this? or a solution to this? maybe a frozen sensor(long shot I know)

Sidenote: Before anyone says can you feel the ABS working etc etc, my street is just an ice rink and its near enough impossible to move the car enough to tell if anything is off, frustrating. the only car that's moved all day is anything with 4wd.P1030036.JPG

if the fronts are spinning and the rears are not it can cause issues ie like on a rolling road - you sometimes have to get it up to speed with all four wheels turning for it to reset...

if the fronts are spinning and the rears are not it can cause issues ie like on a rolling road - you sometimes have to get it up to speed with all four wheels turning for it to reset...
That would make sense I guess, seen alot of people having the same problem as me in today's snow. Guess the long wait for anything to defrost begins :worried:

yup same here - Thought the snow was to blame.. Currently its under 2 ft of snow so it isn't going to be moving for a while lol.

yup same here - Thought the snow was to blame.. Currently its under 2 ft of snow so it isn't going to be moving for a while lol.
I don't think we are alone either! Saw a few Facebook posts earlier regarding the same problem.

Update: with some careful driving I did manage to get mine to the top of the street. I have a feeling it's real caliper related? The hand brake is very loose when pulling it up and under braking the car tries to spin the rear end, ideally hoping for sun to melt the snow and figure it out properly tomorrow.

Just snow related... Quite common, but yeah rear calipers sticking make for an interesting drive to work, lol.

I got this a while ago and I commonly get rear calipers sticking in freezing weather. To the point where the car just drags the back wheels along rather than turning them for a bit...

Well the snow has done me no favours last night, another 5cm and -8 all night, snow is up and over both the calipers now- I think fixing the Clio can wait!

This happened to me today. turned out to be the handbrake freezing and seizing. Bit of hot water onto the brakes and it was sorted. I did initially drive a little bit with them seized and the ABS and ESP lights came on.

Im now parked up in gear with the handbrake off

This happened to me today. turned out to be the handbrake freezing and seizing. Bit of hot water onto the brakes and it was sorted. I did initially drive a little bit with them seized and the ABS and ESP lights came on.

Im now parked up in gear with the handbrake off

We are a group of many!! Seen the same post so many times this week! gonna get some water on mine in the morning and take it for a test drive. Thanks for the advice though the bud

Okay, here we go again! Lil' update.
Cleared some snow, warmed the car arm, hot water on the brakes big chunks of ice fell out when I rolled the car forwards and backwards. Currently still have all 3 lights on and traction control/abs still disabled. I'm guessing that by driving without unfroze brakes may reset the lights and activate everything again. Downside, no traction control means I'm just getting stuck in the snow. 3 car lengths to be precise before I was stuck. :tearsofjoy:

Gave up. Came in. Put kettle on and currently waiting for summer...:weary:

If your traction control is refusing to turn on try turning the wheel to full lock on both sides a few times. Sometimes that resets it...

When my car was dynoed, i remember that i have to drive 200-400metres before esp fault lights turned off. You better wait until snow is gone and you have good grip all 4 tyres and they are rolling in same speed.

As Antti said don’t be to downhearted that somethings broke. Very good chance it’ll sort itself out after a decent drive. Good luck

The rear callipers you can fit the springs that pull the handbrake lever to off position they are fitted when on the megane I put them on when I fitted new cables a year or two ago no problems. So it helps if the cables are sticking and the calliper internals are also strong enough due to ice or hard packed snow. I also think washing a car when the temp is around zero without driving it straight away is a bad idea.
upload_2018-3-2_12-27-23.pngupload_2018-3-2_12-28-16.png

Reactions: DS197
Problem solved- ish. Ended up gritting a 200m stretch of road as a run up so to speak, some hot water on the calipers, release the handbrake then repeat. Used my new tarmac patch as a run up to the snow,a good run up at the snow at some lets say questionable speed for the climate and hey presto!! A big chunk of ice fell out and the lights went off and the wheels started turning.
The flipside of this is all the s#*t off the roads is causing the rear caliper to stick (every car I've owned has done this!!) So the stick on the caliper is obviously causing the moisture to freeze and repeat day in day out. Boring and inconvenient. It is what It is however :relaxed:

Thanks for everyones help though! Once again this forum proving to be the most helpful and friendly around:relaxed:

Off topic: worked out the clio has had more problems in the last couple of weeks than my old car( Diesel power, 112k on the clock, modded to the max and the most impractical car I've ever come across- this is a story for a different time) had in its entire life in my hands. Still love the Clio though and its not leaving me for a very long time- just a bump in the winter road this week :smiley::smiley:

Reactions: Big Ben
If your traction control is refusing to turn on try turning the wheel to full lock on both sides a few times. Sometimes that resets it...
yeah this should help or take it for a quick spin..my went off after a short drive..

Happened to me today. Just waiting for the snow to clear and hopefully your experiences will be similar to mine and the lights will go out