Advice needed please, new car, gearbox issue? :/

hi guys after some advice please, basically just picked up a 06 197 today with 75 on clock from a dealer in Leeds, German autos they are called. Was assured car was all spot on, I even said to the guy I have heard about the problematic gearboxes which worry me he said this ones a good one don’t worry. Gave the car a quick test drive all felt find easy to go in to gear etc, on the way home I noticed at high rpm it would crunch from 1st to 2nd. The garage was closed by the time I realised so will have to wait till Monday now either way. What do you guys suggest? It comes with a 3month warranty but it’s not with them by the looks of it it’s an auto protect bronze warranty after googling them I can see only bad reviews about how they never pay out for anything :/ help apppreciTed thank you

heard of 3rd synchro failing but 1st??not before..anyway i would take it back to them a have it checked over again..see what you can get out of them..

2nd gear going as you've described is fairly common. Along with 3rd,4th and 5th being common failures. Does it also crunch coming back down into 2nd at higher revs ?

Parts are cheap (New syncro ring alone approx £30) - but the labour will be the killer. And theres also supposed 'uprated' rings available too. Take it back and see the garage / warranty company wriggle in the first instance.....

@Northloopcup is THE man on here to sort you out if you need some experienced, qualified and sensibly priced help.

Reactions: Northloopcup
Thank you mate, not sure haven’t tried high revs from 2nd to third not currently in it. Yeah I will be on the phone to them Monday to see what we can work out I don’t want to give it back but I don’t want to be faced with full bill after not even having it a day and it being already a problem. Appreaciate the advice guys

If they can't help, I can. I'd need the box bringing to me though mate as I don't have the time to remove them.

I know my way around them shall we say. :wink:
Cheers, where about are you based. And if it is what you think it may be what sort of rough figure would be looking for parts and labour just so I have an idea. Do like the car so want to try and keep and fix it if possible

Cheers, where about are you based. And if it is what you think it may be what sort of rough figure would be looking for parts and labour just so I have an idea. Do like the car so want to try and keep and fix it if possible
I'm in Lichfield Staffordshire mate. You're looking at around £400-£500 to sort out a crunch in 2nd. That includes sorting out the problematic 3rd and 4th gear synchros too. I treat them like a consumable item tbh. Do it right while you're in there is my advice.

As above, I certainly wouldn't be handing over any repair money before you've been back to the seller to get them to sort it first. Surely there should be some kind of grace period if there's a fault.

I'm in Leeds, is the garage the one in Pudsey?

There is. Within 30 days you can hand it back without reason, well a reason of sorts

Even privately the car has to be fit for purpose, which it isn’t.

There’s zero reason to put your hand in your pocket. Take it back.

If in doubt spread the word on social media. Bet it gets fixed ASAP :smile:

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up getting some money back to put towards repair/new box. Tbh was back in it otherday and it didn’t do it so who knows. Will get the gearbox oil changed over, any reccomendations to which to order?

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up getting some money back to put towards repair/new box. Tbh was back in it otherday and it didn’t do it so who knows. Will get the gearbox oil changed over, any reccomendations to which to order?

Redline has helped a few 197/200 owners with minor gearbox issues..........