Air Intake Advice Needed!

Right, this may be hard to explain but I'll do my best . . .

I want to get silicone hoses for the air intakes on the standard air box.
[ These are (11), (6) & and the pipe connecting (2) to (10) - shown below ]

I can either buy Samco Hoses (preferred) separately from somewhere like DemonTweeks
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Silicone_Hoses_Accessories/1659

OR

This kit on K-Tec Racing -
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2804&catid=7&appid=3&pic=2

My main question is; On the diagram below can I put a straight pipe from the 'Main Inlet Trunking' (2) to the Air Box (10), and cut out the 'Air Resonator' (3) ??

F4REngineAirDiagram.jpg

(This seems to be how the K-Tec Kit looks to do it, if you look at the picture of the engine bay and there is no spout coming off of any of the pipes in the kit)

Whereas if I buy the Samco Hoses myself they sell a 'T' hose which I guess would be the correct hose to include the 'Air Resonator' (3) . . . But is it needed? And is it worth keeping connected?

I would prefer to buy the Samco Hoses over the K-Tec Kit but on the 'T' shaped Samco Hose the 'spout' is only a 25mm Bore and I do not know if this is even the right size or if the positioning of the spout would match up to the pipe leading to the 'Air Resonator' (3)

So basically I'd like to know if cutting out the 'Air Resonator' (3) is something that would cause a problem? Enhancement? Gain or lose power? Engine problems? etc etc . . .

I hope this is easy enough to understand and I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks Guys

Nick

Nope not a problem cutting out the resonator.

I would also recommend PM'ing Exon on here, his prices were cheaper than K-tec plus you get an extra hose for the coolant tank IIRC!

Thanks Paul really appreciate the quick reply! - What does the resonator even do? lol

And could anyone recommend or lend advice on changing the 'Main air inlet' and/or the 'Main inlet trunking' . . . maybe for a larger one or one to increase air flow? Only if its needed / worth it of course :smile:

Thanks

as paul said its a do-er

anyone that got the group buy hoses from here has that arrangement :thumbup1:

Sweet, something I'm definitely going to do ASAP! :smile:

Just looking at the difference in prices between the Samco and K-Tec Hoses . . . Would prefer Samco. Did you get the K-Tec in the group buy? Would you know if there is much of a difference between the Samco & K-Tec Hoses?

Silicon hoses are silicon hoses at the end of the day. One says samco and one says ktec if anything. Just pick a colour you like and you can't go wrong. Get a bit more heat soak if anything bit they don't have the crumpled pipe design of standard type which does improve flow

If there isn't much price difference then keep the resonator, it improves inlet noise. I got rid of it and you do get an extra flutter at times which isn't especially appealing.

I think that getting the samco ones will be more trouble than it is worth, gotta measure up the league and angles etc. Easier to buy ready made IMO!

Hmm yeah all good points. Cheers guys. Going to look into it a bit more before I decide. There isn't much difference in the price really. With the samco you can get a crumpled/ribbed pipe for the feed from the box to the engine. The only tricky one IMO will be the angled pipe. The straight one comes as a metre length so it shouldn't be too hard to cut that down to length. Going to go for yellow pipes as the car is LY :smile:

Heat soak means that they will hold more heat than the standard plastic ones due to the fact they are made from silicon. There is obviously a great deal of heat under the bonnet and the silicon pipes hold that heat a bit more meaning higher intake temps. If they aren't ribbed though on the bends then they will flow a little better...

If you think about it they are more common on turbo cars due to the strengthening in the design to limit expanding under boost. Also the fact that if you put a front mount intercooler on a turbo car then silicon hoses make up the corners the hard piping can't or where a join is needed. They are for dressing up an engine bay more than actually expecting to see any gain but do look good

Ahhh i see, thanks Cannit! Appreciate it mate! :smile:

Does anybody know if there will be a change in sound when i cut out the Resonator?