Another 1 enters the club...!

Evening all.
I have just taken collection of my red 197 07 plate! Great motor and great times ahead I'm sure.
1 slight niggle is the kangaroo hop dance I seem to do from cold. Much to the amazement of my daughter who didn't know cars can dance!

I read somewhere that a higher rated octane might help as I have just filled up on regular?! Thought I should ask the ones in the know!

Great to be a part of the site and the culture. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome aboard Mr Bob. And congrats on the 197 per-chase !

Premium fuel will help IMO; as will checking your inlet manifold pressure sensor to make sure it's solidly seated. If they wobble around - it can cause issues. A simple tie-wrap down job can and has sorted this issue for some. Above all else though - letting them warm-up for a few mins is the 'best' solution. Its a Renault fuelling quirk - derived from emissions rulings im sure....

It's also reported turning traction control off can help !!

And i can also tell you from experience - a remap does wonders.

Completely confused yet !! ?? :smile:

Good luck and enjoy the forum.......

Reactions: Pav
Seconded on Shuv's post. Especially the map. It really makes it a different car altogether.

Get some pics up, I want to see yet another UR 197 that probably looks better than mine![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sevenfourate
Thanks 1 and all for the responses. Truly helpful. The 197 is loud as a gospel singer on a recruitment drive....i will change fuels over on Friday and look into the Inlet manifold seated position!
Great responses from all. I appreciate that!

Welcome along. Great craic & banter here & plenty of good advice. As said 98/99 Ron helps as does a remap which also gets rid of a flat spot. Stay here & you'll soon be finding lots of ways to spend money on your car! Enjoy it, they're such good fun to drive.

Welcome, I too have an UR 197, this was possibly my least favourite colour prior to purchasing the car, I wanted RB.

However, when I went to see it in the flesh, the UR looked amazing. This could be something to do with red being one of the most difficult colours to photograph and images online not being representative of how they look in the flesh. But I love it now and so glad I got UR.

Enjoy your new car and congratulations on joining the forum, it's a great friendly place to get advice. I had a couple of Renault Alpines in my youth and sadly most of the Renault dealers I visited were not the place to go for advice and (showing my age here) the Internet didn't exist or at least not how it is now, so I joined the club and we received something called a 'newsletter' in the post with member's contact details who we could contact for help.

I've just realised how old I am :-(

Good luck

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Welcome.

Please don't put crap fuel in. If you love your car, it's worth the little bit extra for VPower. Honestly, it's SO much better for it.

The kangarooing is a bit of a pain, but it's only from cold. Just take it really easy until it's up to temp. It's better to do that anyway. But yeah, the tie-wrap solution should be looked at as a kick off for sure.

Anyway, nice car, hope she treats you well. But you need to treat her well too! Put good fuel in! :smile:

Welcome.

Please don't put crap fuel in. If you love your car, it's worth the little bit extra for VPower. Honestly, it's SO much better for it.

The kangarooing is a bit of a pain, but it's only from cold. Just take it really easy until it's up to temp. It's better to do that anyway. But yeah, the tie-wrap solution should be looked at as a kick off for sure.

Anyway, nice car, hope she treats you well. But you need to treat her well too! Put good fuel in! :smile:

Sorry to change off topic a tad but....am I the only one who's Clio runs awful with V Power? Used to swear by it in previous diesels, but the Clio doesn't like it at all! I run Tesco Momentum or BP Ultimate and it's like a different car..

Sorry to change off topic a tad but....am I the only one who's Clio runs awful with V Power? Used to swear by it in previous diesels, but the Clio doesn't like it at all! I run Tesco Momentum or BP Ultimate and it's like a different car..

Ours has never had anything else in a runs like a dream. Same with the others.

However, they changed the composition of it a few years back and my BMW ran like an absolute pig for a a couple of tanks.

Might need to cycle through? I don't know how adaptive these cars are. The BMW definitely learned and got back to normal.

Reactions: Benno
A warm welcome to the club Bob! And congrats on the purchase, lovely car indeed.

I also recommend letting it warm through for a minute or two from cold; totally eradicates the kangarooing/dancing :wink:

Or alternatively, and something no one else has suggested yet, stick some L plates on and no one will be any the wiser :smile:

Evening all.

Just wanted to drop you all a quick update related to my kangaroo issue.
I zip tied the maf today and it worked a treat!
Also just put shell v power in full tank. Seems very different, as in good!
Valuable section for newbies, you helped me out alot. I love my 197 like it was my girlfriend......lol
Once again cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20170817_221300_792.jpg
    IMG_20170817_221300_792.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
Evening all.

Just wanted to drop you all a quick update related to my kangaroo issue.
I zip tied the maf today and it worked a treat!
Also just put shell v power in full tank. Seems very different, as in good!
Valuable section for newbies, you helped me out alot. I love my 197 like it was my girlfriend......lol
Once again cheers.

Bob, this is brilliant mate.

Zip tie is a crazy bodge it fix but it really works! And super pleased to hear you're putting good fuel in it. She'll thank you for it further down the line!

Good work fella. I love ours too. Superb cars.

Reactions: MrBob