• Moon 1.0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soil 1.0

• XC Level B8/R8

• Total voters
Hi All,

Recently at work we have been able to get on board with Kross Cycles which are a Polish company and make some pretty decent bikes. I'm thinking of getting one but need some advice from some more experienced riders.

http://www.kross-cycles.co.uk/mtb/

So, up until now I have a 2015 Claud Butler Alpina 2.8 which has been fine, but I feel like I want something I can tackle more aggressive terrain with, there is a big patch of heath land near me which I would like to visit more but feel like the bike I have currently isn't ideal for it although it copes 'ok'.

I really fancy a full suspension, but not sure if I need it, a decent hardtail may be more than enough.

Any opinions on the above choices would be great - the XC Level B8/R8 (27.5 or 29) would leave me with some extra cash in the bank, where as the Moon 1.0 or Soil 1.0 would be at my maximum budget. The component level on the B8/R8 is pretty decent, where as the others are a little more moderate but however have full suspension... ignore the Soil including a RockShox Reverb Seat Post, think that's a misprint.

Thanks all!

Firstly what's your budget?

I always stayed clear of full Suspension until I could afford a decent on. i.e. Expensive frame cheap components, equals many repairs. It was more beneficial to buy a high spec hardtail.

Currently running a 2006 Giant NRS 1 frame with 2015 Forks, 2016 rear shock and 2016 Full XT group set. Basically built what I wanted.

Chain reaction had a quality deal on a Cube Stereo 160. Well worth a look if you had £1500.00 to spend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my budget probably falls into a strange position, because I can get the Kross range at 'staff purchase' price which is very beneficial it should mean I would get a better value/spec bike for the same money.

Just checked but chain reaction don't seem to have that available now.

I can see what you mean about holding off on the full suspension which is kinda my predicament.

I Had hand made Road bikes when I was racing back in the day I was told by Barry Hoban ex Tour de France Stage winner.The more you spend the less you get (weight) that is re better quality components and frame rims Gp set received_1256748564354794.jpeg

Maybe buy the one you can afford and save for new groupset. My XT set was £319.00 from Merlin Cycles, in the sale. Value over £600 originally.

Spent most of today cycling around the Cannock Chase trials. Bike is nothing fancy, it's a Decathlon branded B'TWIN 520S (Full suspension) https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-520s-full-suspension-mountain-bike-id_8322501.html I paid £500 for it a year or so ago and it's been nothing but brilliant since I bought it. Planning to upgrade this year to something more serious now I'm going regularly (circa £1500) but the B'TWIN has been spot on so far for a 'beginner'.

Maybe buy the one you can afford and save for new groupset. My XT set was £319.00 from Merlin Cycles, in the sale. Value over £600 originally.

Maybe this isn't a bad idea, at least it has a decent frame then I can upgrade the components as needed.

Reactions: stevef175