Anyone near London with Leather / Alcantara Recaros? + random pish thread

Hello sweet-cheeks. So glad you're back.

Firstly, it's an M3, not a 1M.

There's one reason alone for why those wheels are still on my car. Looks. I think they're possibly the best looking OEM wheel ever, in my opinion. I had toyed with getting a new set of lightweight wheels for it, but now I have the Lotus to worry about so the BMW will definitely be staying as is. I'm aware of the handling and ride deficit that will cause. I also know it would be noticeable but I'm ok with it. This is one one of the things I was referring to when I was talking about lots of other manufacturers making odd decisions. Putting 19" wheels on the CSL was a stylistic decision on a car that by name is supposed to be a lightweight version. Odd decision indeed. Same as Renault putting heavy wheels on the R26.R

Incidentally, the Lotus also has very heavy cast wheels. From a manufacturer that claim to be all about saving weight. They'll be coming off for some lightweight ones soon. Lotus are great at making odd decisions. Like putting heavy Mini Metro mirrors on too...

If you went from your heavy 18's to some lightweight 17's I'd be absolutely stunned if you couldn't feel a difference in the steering and handling. It's not just the weight, it's about how the suspension behaves and how much more comfortable your ride will be too. Would you not prefer better handling, more grip, more direct steering feel, a less crashy ride? Until you try, you won't know how "marginal" it is will you?

Have you got over my use of the word "posh" yet?

xxx

Thought you had a 1er but I'm obviously mixing it up. Still got you with the wheels, eh? :wink:

I'll try to check it out next month.

I got over it but needed a lot of booze. May still have to talk to my therapist though. :sunglasses:

@Beany: Yes, it's a 205. Presumably a GTi. Surely not a Rallye even if it has some fender arches and a rallye like livery (that's actually borrowed from the T16).

Reactions: Beany and ///M
Thought you had a 1er but I'm obviously mixing it up. Still got you with the wheels, eh? :wink:

I'll try to check it out next month.

I got over it but needed a lot of booze. May still have to talk to my therapist though. :sunglasses:

@Beany: Yes, it's a 205. Presumably a GTi. Surely not a Rallye even if it has some fender arches and a rallye like livery (that's actually borrowed from the T16).

MUCH better!

:smiley:

Swear on my life, the "posh" comment was meant literally. I really like the paintwork on the Raider.

And seriously, if ever you're near London, come and put my wheels on your car and take it for a drive. I'll lay money on the fact that you would be surprised with the genuinely positive difference you felt. 4kg per corner IS something you can feel, I promise.

As for the booze, I hope it was something decent given the amazing beer you have in Germany. A nice Kölsch perhaps? Or if you really needed something entertaining, maybe a Schlenkerla Urbock?

All good mate. It's just banter.

Ps. The wheels on the M3 are 10.7kg for the fronts and 11.3kg for the rears (about the same as the wheels on your Raider but an inch bigger, so reasonably light for a 19" wheel) which I intended to swap for BBS E88 which would have made the rears 9kg even though they would have been an inch wider. It all makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean197
if it help's, I'll be in Milton Keynes tomorrow morning at about 7.30am :persevere:

Almost missed this in all the banter!

Nick, thanks mate, but we have a couple of options now. And honestly, 7:30 in MK would be just too painful for me. As for Mrs M she'd probably kick me in the nuts if I told her she needed to be out of bed at 6am on a Saturday!

Taa muchly though fella.

MUCH better!

Swear on my life, the "posh" comment was meant literally. I really like the paintwork on the Raider.

And seriously, if ever you're near London, come and put my wheels on your car and take it for a drive. I'll lay money on the fact that you would be surprised with the genuinely positive difference you felt. 4kg per corner IS something you can feel, I promise.

As for the booze, I hope it was something decent given the amazing beer you have in Germany. A nice Kölsch perhaps? Or if you really needed something entertaining, maybe a Schlenkerla Urbock?

All good mate. It's just banter.
Is that open for all people! I’ll come to London to try your wheels on.. but I’ll drive off :smile:

Reactions: Benno and ///M
They look SO dated. I thought they were awesome at the time.

I know - when I googled the Venom I nearly poured bleach in my eyes, what the hell were we thinking back then?? I was all about the Hockenheim for my 5GTT but never did it in the end.
Those were the days, spending my working hours focused on what I could do to the car next... oh wait! :frowning:

I know - when I googled the Venom I nearly poured bleach in my eyes, what the hell were we thinking back then?? I was all about the Hockenheim for my 5GTT but never did it in the end.
Those were the days, spending my working hours focused on what I could do to the car next... oh wait! :frowning:

Venoms were the wheels to have mate! Max Power cover shots said so.

But you're clearly a man of taste Micah, the Hockenheims still look reasonably acceptable! :smiley:

Would just like to throw this thread back 2 or 3 pages. Having had standard 17” Cup wheels, 18” Interlagos and now 17” OZ Ultras I can confirm the difference in how the car feels and drives between the Interlagos and OZ is massive. Don’t get me wrong I’m still a fan of how the Interlagos look on the car but so long as it’s other people’s cars and not mine :tongueout: