Are these tyres safe?

Johnny 99

Winner - POTM October 2018
Platinum Member
After a track day at Spa last year my rear tyres ended up like this. I assume that I overheated them & ribbons of tread have come off though there's plenty of tread left. From Spa I went to the 'ring but only did one lap. The next day I left for home. I did probably 1000 miles on the tyres with no issues before swapping over to winter tyres. Should I replace these tyres before putting my summer wheels back on. I have a track day at the beginning of March. Would these tyres be ok?WP_20161001_14_39_18_Pro.jpg

Is that just in one area Johnny or all around the rears? Also what tyres are they if you don't mind me asking?

Is that just in one area Johnny or all around the rears? Also what tyres are they if you don't mind me asking?
It's all around the circumference if the rears. Continental Contisport contact 5s.

It's just pick-up and rollover from the tread.

Drive it on the road and it'll come off.

Don't be alarmed if you hear the bits falling off the tyres as you drive and knocking on the wheel arch liners.... mine does.

Reactions: Johnny 99
Fine to use. You should see mine! My Dunlop DZ03G have done 3 track days now they're what I would call almost f#c£ed! despite constantly checking pressures! Keep an eye on your pressures in between sessions mate.

I think it was the last session that did it. An earlier session got red flagged early on. & as we were the last group out I think they gave us an extra long session & we seemed to be out forever. I wasn't going to waste the opportunity late in the day & stayed out.

I think it was the last session that did it. An earlier session got red flagged early on. & as we were the last group out I think they gave us an extra long session & we seemed to be out forever. I wasn't going to waste the opportunity late in the day & stayed out.

Good for you Johnny ! Dont blame using up that precious track-time......

Saw this and thought of you :smile:

Lol! That's one thing I DON'T do, sitting in a car park til I get my money's worth, I'd rather be driving! Like a good burger though, but not sure that Maccy D's qualify as that! Track time is good though, especially at Kevin's playground!