Barney626's Nimbus 2008 197

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by Barney626, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Barney626

Barney626 Paid Member

Clio 197 - Nimbus
    So bloke at four ashes had a bit of a drive about today to see if the gearbox is ok. Came back saying he couldn't get it to crunch and if anything it's one of the smoothest boxes he's had with that mileage. Good enough for me really, he will know more about it...

He mentioned the aircon noise could be fixed by a good re-gas. That will probably wait until Christmas time as I don't really need the aircon at the moment.

So now I'm sure there is no expensive gearbox work to be done, a desperately needed set of PS4 tires have been ordered. Install booked for next week wednesday. Just have to try and keep it on the road until then... How hard can it be?

2. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    Bet you loved to hear that about your box:thumb:

Barney626 likes this.
  3. Barney626

Barney626 Paid Member

Clio 197 - Nimbus
    So just got back from fitting the new tires. Obviously haven't had an opportunity to form any opinion of them yet but initial reaction is they seem a lot more quiet compared to my old 'set'.

While I was sitting there the bloke brings in my front passenger side rim (The one I had a flat on recently) and showed me this:

slb5BAd.jpg

Says he would put a layer of resin over it but I should look at getting it refurbed...

Also says that my brake discs and pads need replacing. Any suggestions on what to get for these? Stock or aftermarket ones?

4. Big Ben

Big Ben Paid Member

Herts
    Renaultpartsdirect have a great Black Friday sale on. Look them up

5. Barney626

Barney626 Paid Member

Clio 197 - Nimbus
    Been a bit muddy recently so figured I'd get the car washed over the weekend. Was sparkling on saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately, this was taken the next morning...

CirRNJl.png

I've given up trying to keep it clean...

Meanwhile, I've had a bit of time to get a feel for the new PS4 tires. Have to say I'm impressed with them. In the dry I couldn't get my traction control to kick in, even when I tried. Before it would be going off every time I pulled away...
    A little less reliable in the wet but still a massive improvement over the previous set I had on.

Unfortunately, over the past few days my steering wheel has started to shake quite a lot when braking. Not sure what's causing it... Any ideas what to check?

Was planning on replacing brake discs+Pads in about two weeks but might bring that forward if that could be causing the shake...

6. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    You say you give up:think:
    I think I myself have said this many times before and always ended up giving it a quick one...:tearsofjoy:

7. Barney626

Barney626 Paid Member

Clio 197 - Nimbus
    So not a lot going on at the moment...

Just waiting to replace brake discs+pads in just over a week.

Car was parked up on a random street for an hour while I went and did something, came back and as I was setting off started getting flashed a lot. Pulled over and realised my lights looked like they were on main beam...

The xenons had angled themselves miles above where they normally sit, the main beam bulbs were not on.

Turning the lights on/off and main beam on/off had no effect. Tried turning the whole car on/off a few times and got the below behaviour after jumping up and down on the rear bumper (Figured the rear sensor could be stuck?). They angle up then slowly go down. Never done this before and it seems random what happens to them now.

Any ideas what I can check/do?

8. Barney626

Barney626 Paid Member

Clio 197 - Nimbus
    Can't seem to get it to do anything other than this now...

Unless it's fixed itself by morning I'll be onto four ashes (Again...) to see if they could get it fixed by Tuesday next week (I need to drive in the dark then)

9. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
  10. Barney626

Barney626 Paid Member

Clio 197 - Nimbus
    Car booked in first thing Monday morning...

Knowing my luck it will fix itself by then...

11. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    haha..never happens to me :tearsofjoy:

12. Barney626

Barney626 Paid Member

Clio 197 - Nimbus
    Will now have to cancel. It fixed itself :tearsofjoy:

If it breaks again I realised I have a lot more adjustment on the lights than I thought I did. The little white screw was jammed on something and I just gave it a good twist, now I can adjust the headlights meters either way, before I thought I could only get a few cm...

Micah, Pav and Big Ben like this.
  13. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
  14. Chris

Chris Bad cop Administrator

Best sort of fixes them mate :smiley: