Battery Low and Stop light

Sherlock101

Paid Member
Hi all,

I’ve had a low battery warning appear on my 200 intermittently over the last two weeks since I picked up the car, but yesterday and this morning the Stop light came on as well and the low battery message stayed on for most of my journey. The car had the alternator replaced the week before I bought it. What else could the fault be? Haven’t had a chance to check the battery voltages yet, is there any other checks I should do to narrow down the cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I’ve had a low battery warning appear on my 200 intermittently over the last two weeks since I picked up the car, but yesterday and this morning the Stop light came on as well and the low battery message stayed on for most of my journey. The car had the alternator replaced the week before I bought it. What else could the fault be? Haven’t had a chance to check the battery voltages yet, is there any other checks I should do to narrow down the cause?

Quick update: just did a google search (Tapatalk search is crap obviously!) and looks like it could be a fuse... I will try and check these soon

What condition is the battery in?

I've heard old/dodgy batteries can cause all sorts of weird behavior in these cars...

What condition is the battery in?

I've heard old/dodgy batteries can cause all sorts of weird behavior in these cars...

Not sure how old it is tbh, but I’ve just gone and tested it and I got:

12.15V off
11.86V idle lights off
11.68V idle with lights on

Think it’s supposed to be 14V when idling so there’s definitely an issue there... is it the battery though or some kind of grounding problem?

if you got low numbers on the test (12.5 iirc is ok but not sure either)
then its a dead battery or the alternator is not charging the battery properly .
if the alternator is been replaced lately so its probably still under warranty ,go back to the dealer and check whats going on .
if its a new one so its probably just a belt tighten job and if still get low numbers its probably the battery.

Not sure how old it is tbh, but I’ve just gone and tested it and I got:

12.15V off
11.86V idle lights off
11.68V idle with lights on

Think it’s supposed to be 14V when idling so there’s definitely an issue there... is it the battery though or some kind of grounding problem?

once under load if you raise the revs the alternator should be kicking out 14v+ by the looks of those figures the battery is getting discharged hence the really low figures as the alternator isnt putting anything back in

Update: The alternator that was put on the car by the dealer who I bought the car from was a cheap one not the specific Renault approved one that should go on the 200! Apparently the 200 can change its demand from the alternator depending on how much electricals are on in the car etc. Time for Mr Warranty to pay up :wink:

Reactions: Legend@wheels