Best place for gearbox troubles?

Hey guys

So after I did a big 300 mile round trip the other day in the Clio I get in it this morning and 3rd synchro is crunching, where are the best places people have gone?

Thanks!

I know there’s lots of treads on the issue but just after places if that’s ok mods?

What happens during the gearbox recon? Do all internals get changed? Just some?
Anyone worth their money will strip the box and inspect the internals, then tell you what it needs. A fly by night will strip it and replace all the bearings and synchros because they don't know what they're looking at!

The TL4 is actually a very well thought out gearbox. It's the synchro rings for 3rd and 4th gear that let it down. I've replaced loads now. I've even fixed the ones that just needed different oil eh @tombate911 lol

Reactions: trevor milnes
Exactly what northloopcup said well said to many people out there just replacing parts that are not need its just called recon by myself as it is just repairing your own gearbox the main things i have found is bearing failure due to poor maintenance and obviously your fault which is syncro faults fords are especially good at throwing the selector bolts out they becoming loose until the point they jump out hit gears and exit out of the casing

Reactions: Northloopcup
Anyone worth their money will strip the box and inspect the internals, then tell you what it needs. A fly by night will strip it and replace all the bearings and synchros because they don't know what they're looking at!

The TL4 is actually a very well thought out gearbox. It's the synchro rings for 3rd and 4th gear that let it down. I've replaced loads now. I've even fixed the ones that just needed different oil eh @tombate911 lol

What about the ones that had pieces missing? Or had been run with the same oil since 1999 or evening bogged holes in the casing with a 2p coin!