Best point and shoot camera please...

Panasonic Lumix TZ (whichever number they are up to now).

Had one of these for years (the TZ5) and it was brilliant!

What's your budget? Are you interested in doing photography as a hobby in any way, or is it just to get decent "snaps" when out and about?

My dad has a canon P&S and it gives some fantastic photos, I'd honestly say it's about as good as my 400d with kit lens. Obviously doesn't have the same options as the 400d but that's not what you expect in a P&S

What's your budget? Are you interested in doing photography as a hobby in any way, or is it just to get decent "snaps" when out and about?

My dad has a canon P&S and it gives some fantastic photos, I'd honestly say it's about as good as my 400d with kit lens. Obviously doesn't have the same options as the 400d but that's not what you expect in a P&S

No budget to be honest. Not a hobby but would be good to have something that didn't need replacing in a couple of years...

Whats a canon P&S?

Budget sort of dictates what you get unless size is important as pretty much any consumer grade camera will "point and shoot". My 50D in auto for instance takes a decent picture without messing about with any of the settings.

Really there are three groups of cameras these days the big boys DSLRs, the pocket size compacts an the middle ground which seem to be referred to as micro system which are like compacts but with a larger lens offset from the body.

So want it to fit in your pocket?

Budget sort of dictates what you get unless size is important as pretty much any consumer grade camera will "point and shoot". My 50D in auto for instance takes a decent picture without messing about with any of the settings.

Really there are three groups of cameras these days the big boys DSLRs, the pocket size compacts an the middle ground which seem to be referred to as micro system which are like compacts but with a larger lens offset from the body.

So want it to fit in your pocket?

I'd say £200 - £300.

I'd get a Canon Powershot S95, no question. Think they're about £230. They're compact, have a great interface, brilliant picture quality, can shoot HD videos and should you want to have more manual control in the future with it, that's available with a neat control system.

Don't be tempted by something with "more megapixels" in the hope it will make your photos better. Unless you're doing A3 or larger prints, around 8 megapixel is more than enough. Higher megapixel counts will tend to make a camera perform worse in low light, it's the lens that's much more important and the S95's is excellent.

I can also recommend the Lumix range. My whole family has bought them! I have the TZ10 that does great HD video as well. It takes great pics with no fiddling, and also can be put into a manual mode if your into that kind of thing!

Another vote for the Pana Lumix, i use one for work and its gives good shots and videos. That was about £270 when I bought it. Best bet is to go to the shop and try them out mate. Try and check them in low light (flash off) if you can as this is where point and shoot cameras normally fall down.

I've just bought a Samsung WB700. Has 14.2mp, 18x optical zoom and a very good Schnider 24mm wide angle lens and HD video. Currently £170 at Currys. I am very pleased with it so far and would recommend it!

I guess you already know but I would say Pana, just because I have had experience of them and it didn't disappoint!