Black 197 advise?

Hi everyone,

I used to own a Imp. Blue Zetec-S which I adored and cleaned regularly and got a bit of a thing about cleaning it! Iv not had my own car to cherish lately and have just got a Black197 for me and the missus. Just wondering whats best to keep it tip top..

I'll probs need to whole shabang

Shampoo
Mitt
Polish
Wax
Sealant
Cloths etc. etc. etc.

So I was wondering where everyone gets there stuff from? I dont wanna spend a fortune but dont mind buying quality a bit at a time...

get yourself onto Detailing World,

great site mate, all the info you will need will be on there,

word of warning it gets very expensive on there, lol

i just use the following

meguiars shampoo
meguiars quick wax
meguiars tyre shine
meguiars alloy cleaner
meguiars glass cleaner

and the 2 bucket washing system to cut down on swirls (one soapy water and one clean water for rinsing the mitt everytime you go for more soapy water) with plenty of microfibre clothes.

and it come out like this

31122009047.jpg

This was Megs 205 via Rotary, Zymol HD Cleanse then Zymol Vintage:

3966997112_b0f6780272_b.jpg

Although, that is at the crazy end of the scale, you can get a similar finish.

I am finding that sealants work best on Deep Black, something like the Zaino system will work wonders (Z2/Z8 )

What's your budget?

This was Megs 205 via Rotary, Zymol HD Cleanse then Zymol Vintage:

3966997112_b0f6780272_b.jpg

Although, that is at the crazy end of the scale, you can get a similar finish.

I am finding that sealants work best on Deep Black, something like the Zaino system will work wonders (Z2/Z8 )

What's your budget?

great pic!! :smile:

Cant believe I forgot to check back in here, sorry for being ignorant guys, some amazing pics. that looks amazing Russ but I doubt I'll be going for a rotary or any zymol stuff TBH. bit too pricey for me. to be honest I dont have a 'budget' my old Fiesta I used to use a lot of poorboys carnuba blue polish and wax, along with wash mitt, and microfibre cloths and pads, I tended to use megs shampoo, and interiour/exterior trim and armourall tyre seal because I could get them cheap so thats where im coming from, nothing too expensive. Used to get all my products from DetailedObsession, found that Gaz was a top bloke :smile:

Im thinkin of trying out some of the dodo juice products because iv never used them before. Just need to wait till payday now :smiley:

For quick and easy looks, I find sealants tend to work best on Deep Black - look at something like Optimum Opti Seal (which Gareth also sells), which you just wipe on and leave (no buffing required), which also works well on wheels, glass, plastic etc...

For £20, it's awesome

Just been readying on DO about that optimum opti seal, "wipe on and walk away"... sounds like my kinda thing :wink:

do you detail yourself then since you seem to know an awful lot? I was thinking of getting someone in at summer time to give it a proper detail and paint correction. So I can then do my best to keep it tip top :smile:

I was also thinking along the lines of Dodo Juice Lime Prime lite, a half decent wax (not sure if to be cheap and get poor boys natty blue, or go for dodo juice carnauba premium?) along with a glaze or sealant, plus bits and bobs to apply/buff with...

Yeah, I detail part time and have worked for a few of the Pro's in the Midlands in the past year or so

I'd give LPL a miss on black - it's a pain to use by hand and can stain the paint unless you're very quick at removing it. Standard LP is a lot easier to use and offers a near identical finish.

The Dodo waxes are overpriced IMO, and not very durable (Supernatural is decent enough). Look at Collinite 845, Megs #16 or Vic Wax Concours which are all under £20

I agree with Russ here (as usual!). Give Dodo products a miss mate. The only one I use is Lime Prime and that's only because I'm finishing the bottle off after using it on a few household appliances! The waxes ain't worth the money at all when you can get far better products at half the price.

For Deep Black I would recommend Opti-Seal too. You can't beat it for the price and you wont get any wax marks on plastic trims etc which is always a bonus for somebody new to detailing!

Thanks for all the advise guys, if you'll excuse me I just want to ask whats probably gonna be a pretty stupid questions but....

What is the difference between a wax and a glaze, and im guessing the sealant is always the LSP?

sorry for the ignorance but iv never been all that up on cleaning my cars, and all the different catagories does tend to get a little confusing, knowing which to use before what?

im asking because im looking at the Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze, but im not really sure when a glaze would be applied, before/after or instead of wax/sealant?

Thanks again :smile:

A glaze comes after polishing as it gives a well prepared car a bit more of an added shine/gloss to it. It comes before a wax or a sealant. I'm not well versed on Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze but knowing Russ's addiction to detailing products I'm sure he will give an opinion soon enough!

You can use a wax, a sealant or both as your LSP.

Get over to detailingworld.co.uk and have a read up on the basics there and see what you think.

Robo I spent 100's and 100's of pounds on cleaning products when i had my black 197 if your looking for easy application with great results then i would recommend Dodo juice lime prime polish followed up by some Red Moose Glaze and finished up with a few coats of Black fire wet diamond, i was assured by the guys at Polished bliss that if i didnt want to i didnt have to apply wax after the wet diamond and they were right it was amazing stuff.

Process i would use is Wash, Clay, Wash, Polish either by hand or machine, Glaze again either by hand or machine, then apply wet diamond to the whole car and leave on for 20-30 min then buff again either by hand or machine and buff to deep shine. Then after 24hours another coat of wet diamond can be applied for maximum protection.

Here is my car after said process
100_0451.gif