black 197

hi all,

just bought a black 197.

could any1 of u guys plz advise us on the best care 4 black paint work on the renaults????.

[already use the 2 bucket method ,,meguires etc]

but any better advise would b better...........;/

cheers.

Black paintwork is an absolute nightmare/impossibility to keep perfect.

Russ has a Deep Black 197 and I'm sure he will be along to give you his best methods.

Alternatively, get over onto detailingworld and read up on the 6,000,000 alternatives! It's a real case of trial and error but you can't go wrong with meguiars. All good stuff.

I use the 2 bucket method with meg's gold class, AG clean wheels then AG glass polish, AG bumber care, autosol metal polish for the exhaust, meguires gold class wax then AG extra gloss protection which gives it unbeliveable depth next time i do it (saturday weather permitting) ill fire some pic's on.

Nashy:thumbup:

Black will show the swirls more than most colours, if you're polishing by hand then autoglym SRP is the best product as it fills in the swirls rather than abrasively removing paint around the swirls.

I'd just follow it up with some collinite 476 which is a very durable wax, only has to be reapplied every 3 months or so. People say it lasts 6 months but from experience i think it's better to reapply more often

hi, I also own a black 197, the choice is simpler than people make out. Then again it depends how far you want to go with the detailing. I am hoping for 2 - 3 nice days so i can get mine back to showroom condition with a view to clay, polish (remove all spider webbing), glaze, and wax (3 coats minimum of swiss "best in show") I normally remove all the wheels, clay, and wax these too keeps that nasty brake dust at bay for a little longer. when I do mine ill put some before and after photos on here if ure interested take a look

Woody, normally 2 coats of wax is all you need. Once you get to the third layer you'll find that you're rubbing off as much as you're putting on. There are a few exceptions to this (Like werkstatt stuff) but with a wax as expensive as BOS i don't think you want to be wasting any!

I know its excessive, I found with my first and second coat i didn't get the deep deep gloss I wanted so I now apply 3 every time. Paul Dalton applies 3 of his crystal rock wax so I thought y not ha ha. It seems like I will not be able to use all this pot of BIS as it seems to last forever. PS I normally wait 12 - 18 hours between coats so its fully hard.