Block identification F4r 830/832

duck.co.za

Paid Member
Some help please . My block has F4A on it ? It does have a cam belt driven water pump . The motor was imported from the UK and a brand new head was fitted here in Cape Town . Before I rebuild the bottom end I just want to confirm it is in fact a 830/832 bottom end .
There are cheap imported motors here advertised as Clio/Megane F4R with a plastic inlet manifold ?
How do I identify a forged not cast crank apart from the forging lines ? Does anyone have a number ?
Appreciate the help

IIRC it's an F4A block same as that that used in the Meg on the F4RT, F4R block was used in the 172/182 and doesn't accommodate the 6 speed box. Don't know why it's "A" but obviously there was some conflict with using "R" again.

It should be F4R-830/832 on the head?

BTW, do you get many clio's in SA? :think:

Last edited:
That makes sense as this car has a six speed box and the motor was in the car for a very short time , so does fit . Now I need to confirm the crank ? Piston have teflon coated side skirts , so would assume are correct .
I wold really like a definitive answer .
Thanks for the info

The crank, rods and pistons are indeed the correct items. Iirc the only difference between the 830 and the 832 is the cylinder head. The 832 item is the weapon of choice for horsepower.

Pretty sure I have a brand new 832 head , came from Renault complete with valves springs and retainers . Ports seem to have been CNC machined
I will check in the morning
Appreciate your help , thanks

Pretty sure I have a brand new 832 head , came from Renault complete with valves springs and retainers . Ports seem to have been CNC machined
I will check in the morning
Appreciate your help , thanks
They all have the cnc marks on the head mate tbh. Right back from the 172/182 days.

IIRC it's an F4A block same as that that used in the Meg on the F4RT, F4R block was used in the 172/182 and doesn't accommodate the 6 speed box. Don't know why it's "A" but obviously there was some conflict with using "R" again.

It should be F4R-830/832 on the head?

BTW, do you get many clio's in SA? :think:

Sorry didn't answer your question . There are a few , at any given time there are 6 or 8 on the market . Just recently there have been two Red bull cars for sale , at quite high asking prices . Unfortunately these cars are not well looked after . That's why I jumped at this one . As it was a one owner car and apart from the dealer very well looked after .

What about flywheel and front pulley ?
If you lighten anything you need to make sure the rest of it is dynamically balanced, so everything needs to be weight matched and balanced. If it’s not, you’ll get distructive frequencies creating vibrations. Then it’ll spin the centre main and run the bottom end again.
If I were you I’d be replacing the oil pump as well. Open it up, close the tolerances up and reap the rewards. You’ll get better oil pressure and reduce the chances of the engine failing again.

Motor will get balanced . Whats your take on the lightened solid front pulley , thought I might make one ( and have it hard anodised ) Without the rubber dampened outer ring for the second harmonic , is this an issue ?
Also thought some basic work on the flywheel may be worth it ?
I'm trying to justify forged rods . If my piston to bore measure up ok I am going to go with std pistons . I not someone who will hang onto the revs all the time .

I will research the oil pump mod a new one is on my list .

Motor will get balanced . Whats your take on the lightened solid front pulley , thought I might make one ( and have it hard anodised ) Without the rubber dampened outer ring for the second harmonic , is this an issue ?
Also thought some basic work on the flywheel may be worth it ?
I'm trying to justify forged rods . If my piston to bore measure up ok I am going to go with std pistons . I not someone who will hang onto the revs all the time .

I will research the oil pump mod a new one is on my list .
I ran one on my hybrid 172/197 engine and it didn’t cause any issues. That engine made 230bhp and 181lbft of torque and revved to 8k

My block is just over max bore spec clearance . So I'm looking for a block . What block options do I have ? Scienic ? Megane ?Laguna ?

Found a F4A block , but it's from a turbo motor . It has the oil drain back to the sump . I'm sure this could be blanked off , but all very confusing .