Brake caliper clicking?

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
Recently had new pads and discs on the rear, after a while I've started getting a clicking sound from one of my rear caliper areas when engaging the foot or handbrake.

Happens at low speeds and when stationary so don't think it's a loose pad. The caliper was seized but got it unstuck and seems to slide fairly easily now.

Sounds like this:

Tends to only click once every time the caliper is engaged, not a repeated clicking.

Any idea's what it could be?

Ok so tried to narrow it down a little bit more but not really got anywhere.

Replaced the little spring clips which sit in the caliper and house the pads (https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...ff9cad7b04d3011fb5291775f9b8d7a9da11ac&000416)

But still getting the clicking.

It happens almost every time you press the footbrake hard down. Once click for one press, after a few times it stops happening and you can 'refresh' it by putting the handbrake off/on again. In the video you can see that method being used.

Cannot for the life of me figure out what this noise is...

Sounds very metallic, is it just on that side?

Almost sounds like the slide pins, I'm guessing given the hole in the end that's the one that was drilled out? There wasn't loads of play in the hole was there, might explain it creaking.

Sounds very metallic, is it just on that side?

Almost sounds like the slide pins, I'm guessing given the hole that's the one that was drilled out? Wasn't loads of play in the hole was there, might explain it.

Yep only that caliper clicking.

Thought it might be the pins but it seemed to slide easily by hand.

If it was play wouldn't it click when the calipers clamp quickly? Even if you go really slow on the pedal, as long as you put some force on it it will click...

sounds like the top springs on the pads when you first do a pad change and they take up the running clearance....clicking in the top of the caliper

sounds like the top springs on the pads when you first do a pad change and they take up the running clearance....clicking in the top of the caliper

Is that a fault with the pad itself or just my installation?

I've had the pads in and out about 3 times and they have kept on clicking so not sure it's my installation?

If there's loads of slack in the hole it might be trying to bend the pin, hence the creaking.

Can't see it being much else, it doesn't sound internal and I think you can almost see the caliper twisting as you brake... There's a hint of bearing sound but if so I'd expect it to get worse when driving. You didn't tighten them disk up to 280Nm did you?? :confused:

Last edited:
that type of noise only heard when the calipers take up the clearance the top clips just press on inside of the caliper bridge a bit primitive - i just usually put a spot of copperslip on them so they "slide" better..could be the issue or slides could be quite worn causing the caliper to "rock" slightly when pedal is pressed

If there's loads of slack in the hole it might be trying to bend the pin, hence the creaking. Can't see it being much else, doesn't sound internal and I think you can almost see the caliper twisting as you brake... There's a hint of bearing sound in there but if so I'd expect it to get worse when driving. You didn't tighten them disk to 280Nm did you??

Did the torques to about 200Nm.

Anyway of easily testing if its the pins apart from getting a new caliper?

Should have been 170Nm I think but I wouldn't expect a few extra torque to crush the bearing. It's not the caliper it's the carrier, I think there handed so not an easy thing to rule out...

I'd stacken the caliper off, give the pin a wobble see how much play there is, should slide in and out smoothly with no axial movement up/down or side to side.

You could try swapping the pins around to see if that does anything?

Also, bit old school but get a long screwdriver and put the tip against different points of the caliper and put your ear on the other end, you should hear where the noise originates... :wink:

Last edited:
Just had another look today.

Unfortunately the screwdriver trick didn't really get me anywhere.

Tried sticking my head in the arch while a friend pumped the brakes. I'm 90% sure the clicking is coming from either the piston or the join on the handbrake mechanism, not the slide pins or pads.

Any way to get the rotating handbrake mechanism out to have a look at it or is it permanently in?

While i was down there think I am getting a slightly sticky caliper as once I take the handbrake off it's hard to spin the disk by hand, hit the caliper with the palm of my hand a few times and it spins more freely (still a little restricted I feel but idk)