Brake strip down and clean

As the title states I'm wanting to strip down my breaks to give them a good clean/regrease and what not.

I had new discs and pads fitted all round not far off six months ago so it's probably over due anyhow, front left side caliper has been squealing like a pig for the past few weeks as well so I'm wanting to give them all some attention to ensure all is good.

Haven't done this before so wanting to make sure iv got all I need to do the job and anything I might need if i run into trouble (fingers crossed I don't)

Will I be needing a piston wind back tool? or is it just a case of pulling the pads out then sliding them back in when cleaned up and regreased.

Any info or guidance from past experience will be much appreciated :smile:

If your not replacing pads you won't need a wind back tool or pad spreader, just tools, brake cleaner and copper grease.
If your brakes were done recently then it should be straight forward. Hopefully no stubbon front calliper pins! They're normally the most troublesome bit.

Reactions: SeanTheSheep
Just done this front and rear on the track car. Depends how far you want to go. If you are going full strip down and rebuild then you will need new seals, and can recommend biggred. Rears will need the rewind tool (to get the piston out then back in), fronts don't (I used the compressed air method with a foot pump). As said, pins will probably be a swine, and I had to cut mine out with a grinder and replace.

A good flare spanner is also recommended for the brake lines and the bleed nipples. I replaced my nipples with a set from eBay (M10 x 1.0 if I remember rightly, all round (i.e. all 6)).

Reactions: SeanTheSheep
P.S. Did you copper grease between the piston and the pads when replacing? This could be the cause of your squealing brakes.

Reactions: Jim_