Broadband Providers..

Benno

Malmesbury 'Chode of the Year' 2019
Paid Member
Are there any decent broadband providers out there? Or is it just another UK thing..?

Got Sky Fibre at home, it works but probably at half the quoted speed..

Can't be worse than Templeton in Devon...less than 1mb/s download speed, as a result they made this for Bonfire Night.

Amazing.

2v2z3av.jpg

Reactions: sevenfourate
Well BT are in the process of rolling out fibre, we've got a cabinet they've installed at the top of the road, they scheduled a time to put the lines in which never happened to we're sort of waiting to see whats happening.

BT speeds gets about 1.2 where I live, which is obviously bollox so I've got wireless broadband which gets me up too 12..

Seriously considering one of them EE 4g routers though as you're supposed to get pretty good speeds, its just expensive is all.

Sky Fibre getting me 35.9Mbps download and 8.44Mbps upload as we speak.

Which although probably not amazing in the modern World: for our use its faultless to be fair. And the one thing with Sky is the after-sales is faultless. Unlike BT and TalkTalk who were completely and totally hopeless on every single level. Including the former trying to screw me down onto an already agreed 12 month contract. Thankfully :smile:

Edit: Virgin not available here in the sticks !

I was with Sky initially as no one at the time offered fibre. Broadband would always go down at the most inconvenient time and wireless routers would regularly stop working for no reason. Used to get a measly 6 Mbps on a good day. Luckily Virgin came along with their fibre and it's great.

Went for the cheaper 50 Mbps package but in reality it never goes below 75 Mbps. The 2G channel on the router doesn't always work, but this isn't that much of an issue as most devices in the house work on the 5G channel.

I was with plusnet good old fashioned Yorkshire broadband and was awesome however came down to the missus and they have virgin :/ the speed is quite high however the lag in online gaming is painful.. can't wait to move in to new gaff where Ive got it nice n set up

I think the government need to crack down on all this and the fairest way since monthly line rental has went from £10 to £16 and they say it's for broadband rollouts. 20Mb broadband is £15 a month for example and you can only achieve a connection speed of 5Mb then you should only pay the % of what you can get against the price and if broadband is impossible to get you should have a discounted line rental to reflect this. You don't get half speed water service or half speed electricity you pay your connection charge and get it and that's what broadband needs to be a utility. Openreach are the only bidders for government/EU money take it then take enormous internal fees like planning etc. put cabinet's were are best for them and you will see near phone masts which now BT owns EE and are planning masts at current fibre cabinet locations for future 4G services. I went through this in Northern Ireland and I've been to meetings and even a meeting with Arlene Foster and representatives at Stormont now get this there are advisors that get paid £90,000 a year and what they say in a meeting can not be questioned as I was told when one said that 50Mb broadband was available in the area via Wireless provider to which I produced a printout from their website that day showing no such thing and said in the morning I would order it. The next morning the providers website was down and came up later stating 50Mb broadband available in some areas that's what your dealing with ass covering idiots that don't know what they are doing and over trusting the likes of openreach with vast amounts of money thinking they are doing best for the people while hiding the governments lack of awareness. What's going on now is that the are putting fibre on the poles and not underground but get this you will recognise the cables black with a yellow band along the cable each cable can bring fibre to the premises at over 300Mb and has 12 fibres inside now when they check coverage in an area one person at 300Mb will bring the average speed way up and make the area look better than what it is and like hospital waiting times the box is ticked even if the problem still exists.

I use PlusNet business and I have called them at 2am with a UK native on the on the other end and able to do something for me yes they are owned by BT and the service has come down a bit since all the TV adverts started but my experience is if BT can mess something up they will. Example my friend last week lost BT Business internet at the office and at home at the same time the connection was still up and emails came through in bits and pieces only very few web pages could be accessed. I looked at both after he had called and an Engineer was due out I told them there was a restriction on the accounts and tell them to check that out, the engineer did not show as the connection was working and he rang them turns out BT had an internal problem the some accounts were being automatically restricted without indication or reason, another friend used BT mobile via Vodafone for a couple of years and on renewal changed to BT mobile via EE and wound up with a £7,000 bill for data that could not be explained or fixed and Ofcom had to take action after several months of BT not fixing it to then wind up £2,500 in credit which also took time to fix.

Reactions: Benno and Beany
personal experience sir??

Service as such was great. Until you get a problem.

Normal Bangladeshi help lines with muppets reading from pre written scripts were a joke !

SKY might not be perfect. But the ability to speak quickly, in English to a person who speaks English as their native language is worth it for me.

Whatever SKY are: they excel at Customer service.......

Service as such was great. Until you get a problem.

Normal Bangladeshi help lines with muppets reading from pre written scripts were a joke !

SKY might not be perfect. But the ability to speak quickly, in English to a person who speaks English as their native language is worth it for me.

Whatever SKY are: they excel at Customer service.......
well that should be their paramount to be able to speak English right??it's not like you live abroad!!

well that should be their paramount to be able to speak English right??it's not like you live abroad!!

I’m not knocking foreigners working in the U.K.

But in a purely vocal: customer based role - surely a decent grasp of the English language would be a good start.....

Reactions: Pav
I want to put on record how poor my BT tv and internet package is. I will never use them again and I’m counting the days until I can cancel and return to SKY. (267)

Reactions: Pav and Benno
I want to put on record how poor my BT tv and internet package is. I will never use them again and I’m counting the days until I can cancel and return to SKY. (267)

I have no more breath to waste talking about a BT package......

I can agree with that, in my previous house we changed from Sky to BT tv when they first bigged it all up, we changed back about 3 days later I believe..

I went from BT to EE last year in theory the same netwrk, when it was switched no engineer came to the house etc - i was very aware EE broadband has a terrible reputation, I took a risk as it was the same speed as BT, but with agood saving.

To start with it was actually a bit quicker, I went off and did some research first job I switched my BT socket to enable it to use the 'test' socket, no real difference to be honest, I then decided to buy my own router so I bought a good router and I kid you not i virtually doubled the speed...yep almost doubled. never had any reason to call EE and fingers crossed its been spot on I use home network plugs for my tv and ip camera - being in the back ass of nowhere im fairly happy with my speed now.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S General Chat 20