Buyer's Guide and Advice!

Hey folks,

I'm new here, and indeed to the world of RenaultSport. I'm 20, and currently a student. Cut to the chase, i've recently quit my band - after the UK Tour/Album release and stuff. Anyway, i've got some money from that, and my instruments. Along with my current car MY98 SAAB 9-5 2.3T and previous motor a Renault Laguna II 150HP 2.2DCi that is. The latter is arguably one of the worst cars ever btw, literally one owrd for it - terrible. I can't think of one good thing, other than the decent styling, equipment and interior... So, i suppose that just means the engine and bits that matter. God awful. Never again will i touch a diesel. In fact, it was up until a month ago i said '' Never again will i touch a Renault. '' I now know that was ********.

To the point: I basically don't want to make a mistake. The SAAB cost me £950, and i have spent £1500 on it... and £1700 P/A for insurance. For a start, the 197 is the first car i'll have put a fair bit of money into and more importantly, the first i can be enthusiastic about!

So, does the 197 have any issues that will need to be checked off the list when looking for one? I've not found much on them, so i was wondering if there are any hidden problems that might be lurking beneath that lovely exterior. Are there any bits that should be looked out for, common flaws/ things that should've been replaced under warranty/recall?

I've researched running costs, and they're inline with what i get atm - if not, marginally better. Again, i've researched price, and have a good idea about that. (budget is £8500)

I'm 20, 1 year NCB and don't want to pay over £1700 for this per year. I've ran quotes, but they're all saying i'll be paying much higher than this. What do you lot think? Am i being unreasonable? Should i just wait a bit longer, and continue to plod about in my barge? I just want a quality motor that i can be enthusiastic about and trail around the country and continent. They'll hopefully have more of their potential unleashed too, which is always something nice to bear in mind.

Oh, and Hi btw. I didn't introduce myself before now. Great forum - i've lurked for a while, never had a good reason to post before now thoug.

Cheers for any help chaps,
Jamie

I'd wait until you are 21, the insurance drops quite a bit. 197 is a good car but they have a few niggling problems. I suppose most cars do, but for the money I don't think you'll do much better for a hot hatch. Fun to drive, well equiped, safe and most importantly looks the tits! The problem is with your price budget you will be looking at a above average mileage early car or a slightly newer cup. But if you are used to luxeries then stick with a standard 197. I bet your Saab is bursting at it's welds with kit a?

Despite being a '97 it is indeed very well equipped. Not to mention 185BHP. Fair enough it is a big ol' barge, but still shifts. Its just not fun really... at all. I'll have to keep hunting for insurance, but i reckon i will find something for under £1700, surely!

Yeh, the 197 ticked all the boxes, which is why i am here! :smile: I just wondered if i was missing anything - like EMS problems, injection/ignition issues, oil problems etc.

:welcome: mate
all i can say is go for it you will love it.your only young once.you will pay high insurance for anything you buy at the moment its a rip of
:shout:BUY ONE AND ENJOY

Welcome mate, a fellow Scot!

£1700 a year seems a bit steep if you have 1NCB, i had 2 years NCB and bought my R27 at the same age as you, infact i had just newly turned twenty and i have 1 claim to my name and was only £800.

So keep hunting mate, also I can't help out much on other things.. well i could but these guys on the site know much more :smile:

Cheers for the welcome folks! :smile:

Yep, just outside South Queensferry actually.

Well mate, i pay £1700 on the SAAB - 20 years old, 0 NCB. So, i'm hoping when i get my NCB in September i could get a 197 insured for an alright price, but maybe sub-£1000 is expecting a bit much.

I've had my fun with music, realised its not for me and just want a nice motor that i can be an anorak about. Not to mention, the Scottish roads are wasted on the 9-5!

The two issues are only really getting one for a good enough price - £9K max, and then getting a finance option that i can manage. I'll have the bulk as down payment, like £6K or something... oh, we'll see. I might have to travel onto some other forums and research finance

For now, if anyone can tell me the above things that are concerning me, that'd be great.

Cheers!
Jamie

I'm 21 with 1 year NCB, no claims or points. My insurance was under £1k and at next renewal in august (21 years old, 2 year NCB) it will be ~£750 for the year. Add your mum and dad as a named driver and it will bring the price down.

If you find one with recaros check the bolsters for wear as this is a common problem