Changing coolant/thermostat

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good how to on swapping the thermostat and coolant? Also where the best place to get a new thermostat?

Any help appreciated.

Russ

There is also a vid around the net lemme look for you
Edit:Here you go bud :

Its not in english but very understandable
Plus if you want to full drain (as possible) disconnect the lowest pipe that comming from the radiator to the block(at the bottom) .

Do you have to do a full drain to change the thermostat?

No, just remove the coolant pipe at the thermostat, fit the new one, then refit the pipe and top up with coolant. Then run the engine with the heater on full and open the bleed points until coolant comes out and top up the coolant as necessary.

And top tip. Before you are starting thermostat change, check what kind of coolant your car has. Buy same kind of coolant so you can replace it with same stuff. Dont mix different coolant types.

Thanks for the info, couple more questions then I should be ok, what coolant types are there, I thought if it was the same colour it was ok? Where are the bleed points?

Thanks

Russ

Also if I remove the coolant pipe at the thermostat will it leak out? Do I need to put a basin under it?

Sorry for the noob questions...

Also if I remove the coolant pipe at the thermostat will it leak out? Do I need to put a basin under it?

Sorry for the noob questions...
Yes it will .
(After disconnecting pipe) Pull the pipe up and by that youll minimize the leak .
You might need about 300-1liter for refill.
Plus you should put something under the thermostat housing (there is electric wiring under it)

Thanks, my coolant is pink, Renotech put that in only a couple of months ago when they did the timing belt so am I ok toppng up with the same colour?

It might be good idea ask from Renotech which coolant they put your car, and then buy same stuff.
Currently my car for example has red coolant, it is Total glaself supra coolant which has renault specification.

Last edited:
Ok
I have changed the thermostat, coolant all over the floor! I have filled the expansion tank up with bleed valve at the back open until coolant seeps out, closed the bleed valve off, once I put the battery back on to start her up how do I get the bleed valve on the stat? Do I leave air intake pipe off?

Ok all done, I fired her up, let it warm up and kept topping the expansion tank up and bleeding now and again, needle stayed and halfway mark and fan kicks in, should that be it?

Thermostat opens at 75 and end opening at about(89iirc)
Fan kicks in at 90 .
75 is abit under the third line
Correct temp operation are : highway 74-76(under the third line abit )
At traffic/intown about third line to middle gauge.