Clio 200 - how to spot a Cup chassis?!

Hi all,

Just joined here as I'm looking at getting an RS 200 this week (found one, just need to negotiate!).

So I'm going for a Cup chassis with the Recaros and was wondering if there's any easy way I can actually check it is a Cup chassis? Otherwise I'm just taking the seller's word for it. Will it be on documentation, or better yet, is there something on the car itself that distinguishes it?

It's an amateur question to ask, I know, but the only thing I can find is the stiffer and lowered suspension - without them side-by-side, I won't be able to tell.

Any advice much appreciated. Coming from a Fiesta ST, the Clio can't come sooner! Fingers crossed for this Saturday. Went out for a drive in it today - excellent fun, and it felt bloomin' stiff coming from a floppy Fiesta!

Cheers,
Andy

Got a link to the car?

If its a 200 cup when you hpi (can use the free app) in will usually say cup in the model i think.

Visually the cup will say 'cup' on the door strips, have red calipers, black plastic wing mirror and side strips (rather than colour coded), no air con/climate control, no cruise control etc

If you have a FF (full fat) cup then youll have it all, red calipers, stiffer/lower suspension, colour coded mirrors and side strips/door strips, air con etc etc

Oh and welcome! Is a fair bit of info and buyers guides in the section for paid members :wink:

Cup chassis has red brembo callipers and anthracite alloys. Non cup chassis came with silver callipers and silver wheels although you could opt for black speed line wheels with both.

These can of course be changed afterwards.

Another way to tell is to look for the two coloured marks on the springs. Iirc they are black and blue.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

It's an FF Cup I'm looking for – I need a little bit of practicality in this purchase to keep the Mrs on-side :wink:

It's not online anymore, however, it looks EXACTLY like this except in white: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...t-clio/clio-200--cup-chassis--recaros/1909421

It's got the red brembos, the anthracite alloys, Recaros, colour coded side strips (but gloss black wing mirrors like the link above), air con, cruise control, keyless entry/go, etc.. The guy I'm buying it off seemed very honest, but I'll do an HPI check – he actually suggested I did one too.

It looks like the real deal, it's priced like the real deal, and I can't imagine you could get a Clio to be much stiffer than the one we drove today!

Thanks for the advice/welcome.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

It's an FF Cup I'm looking for – I need a little bit of practicality in this purchase to keep the Mrs on-side :wink:

It's not online anymore, however, it looks EXACTLY like this except in white: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...t-clio/clio-200--cup-chassis--recaros/1909421

It's got the red brembos, the anthracite alloys, Recaros, colour coded side strips (but gloss black wing mirrors like the link above), air con, cruise control, keyless entry/go, etc.. The guy I'm buying it off seemed very honest, but I'll do an HPI check – he actually suggested I did one too.

It looks like the real deal, it's priced like the real deal, and I can't imagine you could get a Clio to be much stiffer than the one we drove today!

Thanks for the advice/welcome.

Cheers.

Good luck and hope you enjoy, get some pics up when you brought/collected it :smile:

Any other questions just ask, am sure you'll have many willing to help!

Only way to be 100% sure is check the springs angels right. On hpi that won't show up as a cup as it's a FF with cup package. Do not call renault either I asked them and they told me mine wasn't when I know or a fact it is and have checked the springs. Look for a circular blue marking by full locking the steering.

y6ytaba6.jpg
This is what the markings look like for cup suspension. Put the steering on full lock, get on your knees and have a look

Cheers guys, really useful. I'll try my best to get a look when I next see it. Might actually ask him to send me some photos.

Bit annoying there's no quick and easy way to check!

Easiest way to check is look at the shocks

cup shocks have a reflective orange sticker on the front and rear shocks

yih can see the rears easily by looking under the back of the car and the front if you turn the wheels to full lock and look under the arches

non cup shocks are pink and silver stickers if I remember right.

Does it not denote a cup pack on the identity sticker on the drivers door sill, where the door pin is? There is a sticker there that has the colour code, options fitted etc?

Cheers guys. Pretty useful place this! I'll look at memberships when I get my hands on a 200.

Do you know if any of that sticker mean cup chassis? If not, I'll try to check the shocks.

It's got the red brembos and the anthracite alloys - 100%. It also felt extremely stiff as I said.

I'm just being over-cautious. The seller is a decent guy, and by the looks of his house and other cars selection, he doesn't need to be pulling silly scams.

If there's an easy way to check, I'll check!

Thanks mate, I'll try to have a look if I buy it.

Anything else I should look out for when buying one of these?

If the car doesn't have a warranty Lift the front wheels up and check the Ball joints. They're expensive to replace but easy to check.

also make sure the gearbox feels ok in 2nd and 3rd

Not sure I'm going to be able to lift the front wheels up, but 2nd and 3rd seemed fine at the weekend.

Ball joints go quickly? Not sure about warranty - depends if it's transferable. It's certainly under the mileage and age that Renault quotes.

The front ball joints can go after as little as 30k miles if not sooner in these and it's quite an expensive job to fix. Also steering racks and even Columns can go quickly so check for any clunks going lock to lock at a slow speed.

Ah, that's a bit concerning. I'll look into it.

I'll try to get another test drive before I buy to give the steering a go at low speeds.

Thanks for the advice mate, appreciate it.