Clio RS 200T Issues Update

As most of you know i've had a the runt of the litter with the new clio rs 200T's.

had the car for a few months now and its been back to the garage 4 times since purchased.

now my opinions don't account for all Renault service garages but the ones in question are the mansfield service center and the dealership it was bought from (Bristol Street Motors) in Derby.

The faults were as follows;
- Engine fault lights on the dash including Check ESC, Check Hill start, Check Anti Pollution Filter.
- When the engine was cold the car would fail to select gears. It would judder and grumble until the engine reached temperature and it would run fine after this.

1st Service - they ran diagnostics and found no fault. gave me the car back after 5 days.

2nd Service - they ran diagnostics again and found that an ignition coil was faulty. they replaced this and i got the car back after a few days. unfortunately this did not solve the issue.

3rd Service - they had the car for a week and came to the conclusion it was something to do with the engine wiring loom. they said they had a play around and may of accidentally plugged something into place as they couldn't get the car to fault. i had the car for 2 days before it went to **** again.

4th Service - i took it back to the dealership this time as they have a Renault master technician on site. they fixed the car in 48 hours. they said they had replaced ignition pack 3 (waterer the **** that is) for all i know it sounds like they replaced the ignition coil. which is what the mansfield branch did on the 2nd service. Anyway, the car is running a lot better but I'm still experiencing some issues in the morning when the engines cold. i'm basically expecting the engine lights to come on again in the next couple of days.

This is my first performance car and my first turbo. should i expect some shoddy performance when the engines cold? or should i kick off and deem the car as unfit for purpose and demand a new one? the cars been at the service centre longer than I've actually driven it.

I've ruled out the Milltek exhaust system causing any issues. they assured me the exhaust doesn't affect any engine sensors. The faults were also on the car before the Milltek system was installed. its better to rule out any after market parts even if you know they aren't the cause.

whats the forums thoughts? put up or kick off?

Don't put up with it no. But don't kick off either.

If your not happy with the car, thats what the warranty is for, persist until its right.

If you are really not happy with it and have lost confidence then I would reject the car for the reasons stated and also that its clearly not fit for purpose. The garages have been given ample opportunities to rectify the fault which keep occurring so you are well within your rights to reject the vehicle.

Car dealers are notoriously hard to deal with when rejecting a car so you are best to either seek advice from trading standards or if you purchased on finance then your finance company should help.

You can copy, paste and edit this letter should you wish to go down that route.

Rejecting a new car template letter

Your Address

The dealership address

Dear Sir/Madam,

I recently bought a car from your company (name company) on (date). The car is (model, make, reg number). A major fault with the vehicle has been apparent since (when?). I am dissatisfied with the product I have bought from you and as such I would like to reject this car.

The faults with the car are as follows (describe the faults) and I have had an independent inspection of my vehicle (name garage). They have listed the faults as follows (list what the independent expert says)

OR

I have allowed the dealership (name dealership) to attempt to fix the problem (s) with my car. To date, the car has been with your mechanics (how many times?) in (how many weeks/months?) I made it clear from the outset in writing that my allowing you to repair would not affect my right of rejection and accordingly as you have been given ample opportunity to correct the faults with the vehicle, but with no satisfactory conclusion, I am therefore rejecting this car.

I refer you to the Sale of Goods Act 1979, specifically Section 14 which details that the car I bought from you must be of satisfactory quality. From my own judgement and that of the independent expert (name garage) I believe that the car you have sold me is not of a satisfactory quality, as such I believe you are contravening Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

I request that you pay me the full amount for my car which totals (£ how much did you buy the car for?) or replace it with another equivalent car. I expect to hear from you to confirm you have received this letter so we can arrange a refund or replacement within the next two weeks. I have stopped driving the car in line with my rejection and I request that you collect it at the earliest opportunity.

If you fail to accept my right to reject this car I will be forced to progress with legal proceedings in the County Court in order to recover the money.

Yours Sincerely

Last edited:
Are you still getting the check ESP/ Hill start?

i used to get this but so far so good after it looks like it's been sorted.

If you are really not happy with it and have lost confidence then I would reject the car for the reasons stated and also that its clearly not fit for purpose. The garages have been given ample opportunities to rectify the fault which keep occurring so you are well within your rights to reject the vehicle.

Car dealers are notoriously hard to deal with when rejecting a car so you are best to either seek advice from trading standards or if you purchased on finance then your finance company should help.

You can copy, paste and edit this letter should you wish to go down that route.

Thanks Fernandez this is incredibly helpful.

No the engine warning lights have kept at bay this time but the car still runs like a schizophrenic when its been stood still for few hours.

cheers buddy.

I can't add anything more to what Fernandez has posted - that is your best option. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't put up with it, it seems like you've been passed from pillar to post and no-one has a clue what the problem is! Unacceptable and doesn't really give a good impression of Renault dealerships...

Hi
sorry to here about your problems and hopefully you get things sorted
amongst all the problems I've got some are the same as yours and my dealer cannot sort them out
at the moment my rs200t has been with the dealers for a few weeks now with a bricked rlink after the dealer tried a new iOS software update
what it went in for was a knocking from the steering and they have told me it needs a new rack but when checking for racks they have found that there is none In the country and also none in the factory in France either , so I have no idea when I will get my car back
think it's about time I got legal help in rejecting my rs200t
cheers shocker

Hi
sorry to here about your problems and hopefully you get things sorted
amongst all the problems I've got some are the same as yours and my dealer cannot sort them out
at the moment my rs200t has been with the dealers for a few weeks now with a bricked rlink after the dealer tried a new iOS software update
what it went in for was a knocking from the steering and they have told me it needs a new rack but when checking for racks they have found that there is none In the country and also none in the factory in France either , so I have no idea when I will get my car back
think it's about time I got legal help in rejecting my rs200t
cheers shocker

thats awful news shocker. looks like me and you are in the same boat.

Hi
I don't think it's just us having bother there was posts all over renaults own community which renault have now taken the site down
lots of posts on other forums but lately they seem to have been getting deleted but I've been taking pics of said posts for evidence as my renault dealer says no one else is having bother with their rs200t s
Cheers shocker

Hi
I don't think it's just us having bother there was posts all over renaults own community which renault have now taken the site down
lots of posts on other forums but lately they seem to have been getting deleted but I've been taking pics of said posts for evidence as my renault dealer says no one else is having bother with their rs200t s
Cheers shocker

its unacceptable really. any chance you can send me a copy of those posts? might need them in my defence as renault also told me there were no other problem RS200's out there (email them to lewis@kentphk.co.uk). a couple of people have contacted me on this forum saying they had the same issues but replacing the ignition coils solved there problems. i think my car has had 2 ignition coils replaced due to lack of communication between the service garages. i'm currently getting my old exhaust fitted by milltek and then ill be typing up this letter.

a replacement means ill be car-less for 3 months and i run the risk of having the same issues again but theres 0 chance ill have the option to get my money back.

Does the grumbling seem to come from behind the dashboard when you start it up? This is interesting as my GT 120 does this then runs fine afterwards!

Last edited:
Email pics sent
wish I got more of the complaints on the renault site before they shut it down , I still have the pics of the headings and first line of fault but when you click link renault do not allow access but you can still see the complaints, renault have only taken down this site because all that was on it was complaints about their new range of cars
cheers shocker

Does the grumbling seem to come from behind the dashboard when you start it up? This is interesting as my GT 120 does this then runs fine afterwards!

it's strange, its definitely in the engine bay. feels like the car isn't running on all cylinders.

Email pics sent
wish I got more of the complaints on the renault site before they shut it down , I still have the pics of the headings and first line of fault but when you click link renault do not allow access but you can still see the complaints, renault have only taken down this site because all that was on it was complaints about their new range of cars
cheers shocker

reconsidering asking for a new car...

realised i will have to go 3 months while i wait for them to build a new one for me. ill also might have to pay the finance from scratch again.

I'm giving the derby dealership a written warning and taking the car in for a final fix. they will have it for a week and if its not sorted then i'll be requesting a full refund not just an exchange.

Contact your finance company, technically the car belongs to them so they should help you.

reconsidering asking for a new car...

realised i will have to go 3 months while i wait for them to build a new one for me. ill also might have to pay the finance from scratch again.

I'm giving the derby dealership a written warning and taking the car in for a final fix. they will have it for a week and if its not sorted then i'll be requesting a full refund not just an exchange.

For what it's worth I travel from Derby to Renault Burton because of the Derby branch reputation. I've actually never used Derby because I've yet to hear a good word about them from friends/family. The Burton garage have been really good for me. Worth considering for next time.