Clio turbo conversion or megane?

Hi guys,
looking into adding some more ponies to the Clio, was initially looking at the megane conversion but I've seen a few cars from "Clio turbo" and they do the 330bhp kit fully forged for 5k give or take.
I'm aiming for 350bhp...so I'm aware if I bought the megane engine I would need to forge the megane engine.
Just wondering weather anyone could help with the best option? I wouldn't do any of the work myself so would need it doing whatever way I went.
Also gearboxes...

I'm lost and need some help!
Cheers guys

Engine will be decent by getting it done by ct but can't say much about the gearbox. I reckon it will shred.

When I was planning to do mine, I didn't care about this as mine has been dying for a while now anyway but as time has changed I've changed my mind, 185bhp is enough for me to have fun in the mountains.

I guess I'd need to Meg swap the gearbox

Not necessarily, a few of the Megane-engine Clios have retained the Clio gearbox. You just have to match the linkage, mounts and driveshafts to the gearbox - Megane 'box, Megane linkage, mounts, and shafts. Clio 'box you use Clio linkage, mounts, and shafts. Just fit an uprated clutch and you'll be fine.

Megane box is suited to the engine. Clio ratios are too short and do not suit the engine.

In my opinion the megane box is worth the extra effort.

The megane engine will fit a clio block, it's the same block. A clio gearbox would be better for track use with it being shorter.

The megane engine will fit a clio block, it's the same block. A clio gearbox would be better for track use with it being shorter.

Yes, megane gearbox is physically longer which is why you have to match driveshafts to gearbox e.g. megane shafts for megane box.
Megane box is 70mph@2500rpm in 6th, early 197 is 3500rpm, 200 box is 3100rpm.

So if I got a megane R26 box with the LSD i would need the drive shafts to match it...are they stronger than the 197 box too power wise could it manage 350/370bhp or don't we know yet :thumbup:

So if I got a megane R26 box with the LSD i would need the drive shafts to match it...are they stronger than the 197 box too power wise could it manage 350/370bhp or don't we know yet :thumbup:

Yes you'd need megane driveshafts, linkage including gearstick, and the gearbox mount. The box should theoretically be stronger but in all honesty I don't know. Best to search on the megane forums.
If you want my advice, get it up and running first before you start thinking about 350 bhp rightout of the blocks. So many things to get right first; cooling and sorting the fuelling to name a few. You'll also need to forge the bottom end if you go over 300lb/ft of torque (some have run standard rods over this figure, some have gone bang under this but 300 seems to be the general consensus on the megane forums). You'd also be advised to fit a single mass flywheel in place of the standard dual mass unit which can fail around 24k-ish miles.
So many things to consider.

Last edited:
Yes you'd need megane driveshafts, linkage including gearstick, and the gearbox mount. The box should theoretically be stronger but in all honesty I don't know. Best to search on the megane forums.
If you want my advice, get it up and running first before you start thinking about 350 bhp rightout of the blocks. So many things to get right first; cooling and sorting the fuelling to name a few. You'll also need to forge the bottom end if you go over 300lb/ft of torque (some have run standard rods over this figure, some have gone bang under this but 300 seems to be the general consensus on the megane forums). You'd also be advised to fit a single mass flywheel in place of the standard dual mass unit which can fail around 24k-ish miles.
So many things to consider.

I'm going to get Clio Turbo to do the work on the car and part of there stage 3 kit is forging the bottom end it all comes as a package. There's a few other bits I'm going to add into the mix that when I built my golf I used, things like Devils own methanol injection (worth its weight in gold) I've got a pretty good idea of some bits I'd like but I will let Clio turbo do there work and throw some bits into the car for them.
Thanks for the advice so far I appreciate it

The thing for me is do your homework. Clio turbo is a reputable tuner but I'm yet to see any 197's stg 3 as yet. Meg conversion is not plug and play to get beyond the magic 300 mark. There's an awful lot of things that come into play and it's gets really expensive. Also a 350 bhp Clio doesn't drive like the Meg 225/250 making the same power and I think the Meg puts it down better. Only advice I'd offer is get it running reliably before thinking of pushing the envelope