Cup 2 or AD08R

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by tkoh12, Jan 9, 2018.

1. tkoh12

tkoh12 Gold Member

Lincolnshire
    LY 200
    Pro's and Cons of each from you guys who have used them?

only £20 difference per corner to the cup 2 which im intrigued to try being a michelin user previously but haven't had AD08R use before.

Tyres will be on OZ ultra's and used for summer months with a couple of track days one being the ring.

2. jamesgw200

jamesgw200 Paid Member

cambridge
    Megane 275 Trophy
    cup 2s are suppose to be very good but i cant see them touching the ad08r on track

3. Benno

Benno Gold Member

I never realised how much difference tyres could possibly make until I put AD08r’s on halfway through the trackday at Bedford...you’ve really got to try them.

Pav likes this.
  4. peter

peter POTM Winner - February 2017 Gold Member

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    had them both. performance wise (on track) there's not that much difference between the two.

- with the yokohama, i found the clio a bit more stable at the back under heavy braking.
    - change of direction, also slight nudge to the yoko.
    - the yoko has a much fiirmer sidewall, so a bit less comfortable on the road.
    - i like the looks of the yoko better, because it's a much more "squarer" tyre.
    - the michelin performs better (only just) when it's wet.
    - the yoko lasts longer.

i'm sticking with the AD08R. one reason is, over here (belgium) it's quite a bit cheaper than the cup2. but the main reason is, because the michelins came from the rim like this ...

30370388842_2735fca056_b.jpg

30487274385_bac7806880_b.jpg

and while there was still some tread on the tyre, i only changed them because there were chunks flying off ...

29767833250_3ca3862353_b.jpg

30061777455_4b23f9c973_b.jpg

i've heard that a couple of german clio drivers had the same problem. i've also heard some praise about the cup2, stating none of the problems i had with them. maybe it was just a bad batch (i bought them in early 2016)? i contacted michelin belgium, hoping they could tell me what went wrong. haven't heard from them since last october (?). reminds me, have to sent them an email again. :smile:

papa, tkoh12 and nutnutwelshman like this.
  5. Big Ben

Big Ben Paid Member

Herts
    Another one with Yokos.
    If the cup 2’s are any better then they must be unbelievably good. Save some money and buy Yokos

6. tkoh12

tkoh12 Gold Member

Lincolnshire
    LY 200
    Thanks for that detailed reply that has been really helpful I was swaying towards the cup2 as the likes of the GT3’s come with them but if the yokos are that good and a tad cheaper and will last longer seems silly not to get them

7. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    had my yokos on for over 2 years roaad/track and couldnt fault them...never had the cup 2 on though...

tkoh12 likes this.
  8. tkoh12

tkoh12 Gold Member

Lincolnshire
    LY 200
    Oh that’s good! How many track days did you do and what kind of mileage?

9. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    think about 3 or 4 track days and over 10k miles..still have them for track use only...

10. Big Ben

Big Ben Paid Member

Herts
    Boosted as well which hurts the fronts a lot more than n/a

11. tkoh12

tkoh12 Gold Member

Lincolnshire
    LY 200
    That’s good then! Considering track days normally take a good bit of life out of them

12. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    amen to this..2 of the track days were wet so not too much abuse but still..very pleased with their longevity...
    as above..very good tyre if you ask me..would buy again and sure other members would too...

13. peter

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    "if they are good enough for a GT3, they should be plenty for my clio."
    that's what i thought when buying them.

and me being a snob, i couldn't believe the AD08R would be as good/better as the cup2. so i got the michelins first. silly mistake. :smile:

Pav, tkoh12 and Big Ben like this.
  14. tkoh12

tkoh12 Gold Member

Lincolnshire
    LY 200
    Think it’s going to be yoko’s! Cheers for your advice and experience

Pav and peter like this.
  15. peter

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    let us know what you think of them.

tkoh12 likes this.
  16. nutnutwelshman

nutnutwelshman Spa-tacus Area Rep

Heathrow
    220T TROPHY
    Iam going to try the Cup 2s on the Dog

peter likes this.
  17. tkoh12

tkoh12 Gold Member

Lincolnshire
    LY 200
    Will do im away with Work till April so it will be when I’m back in time for he summer

peter likes this.
  18. peter

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    well, i did sent a mail and today i got one back from michelin belgium. guess what ... they're sending me four new cup 2 tyres! here i am telling everybody not to buy the cup 2 and soon i'll have four of them lying aroung in my house!

Big Ben and dr gonzo like this.
  19. Big Ben

Big Ben Paid Member

Herts
    Result Peter!! Glad your persistence paid off. New tyres for Spa:thumb:

20. peter

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    cheers ben! still a bit more life in the yokos, so i'll thrash them at spa and then see if the cup 2 can stand up to a similar beating later in the year.

they did advice me to run them with slightly higher pressures. i'll update my progress thread tomorrow.

Big Ben likes this.