Did I get a bargain?

So I picked up a 2009 GW 197 cup last week, 62k on the clock with 12 months MOT.

In terms of mods is lowered unsure on how much and what on and has the back 3 windows tinted. The alloys are sprayed black (is this standard?) but have scuffs so need touching up.

It hasn't had the cambelt done so that is booked in for next week at a cost of just over £600.

However I paid £3k for it? I'm quite tempted to have the cambelt done and clean up the bits that need sorting and put it up for sale as I'm saving for a house at the moment but I do love driving it!

What do you guys think, bargain or not?

Cheap car how's the gearbox and front end I'd keep it and enjoy for six months

Gearbox feels fine I haven't noticed anything to suggest otherwise yet! Next month I'll change engine and gearbox oils. The plan is too keep for a few months but have it up for sale and see what offers/swaps it gets

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Sounds about right really when you think about having the cambelt done it then owes you £3600, which is roughly the price it should be.

Be careful people get skeptical when cars arent owned for that long especially just after its had a cambelt done, people may ask questions or steer clear, what @nutnutwelshman said is right keep for 6 months.

Reactions: MP93
Sounds about right really when you think about having the cambelt done it then owes you £3600, which is roughly the price it should be.

Be careful people get skeptical when cars arent owned for that long especially just after its had a cambelt done, people may ask questions or steer clear, what @nutnutwelshman said is right keep for 6 months.

Cheers for the reply mate. Looks like owning over the summer is the best bet then! So 3.6 is an average price? The only other 2 cups I've seen on ebay are a year older and with 10k extra miles both up for 4.8 and 4.9

Cheers for the reply mate. Looks like owning over the summer is the best bet then! So 3.6 is an average price? The only other 2 cups I've seen on ebay are a year older and with 10k extra miles both up for 4.8 and 4.9
How long have they been up for?
These cars not reaching the money they should at the minute.

Now with the cambelt done and it being 10k lower it would be worth the 4.5-5k like you stated but you would need to sit on it, as from my experiance i never trust a car that has been owned for a month or 2 no matter how mint or low the mileage is. on the plus you have a great driving car for summer that will in the end owe you nothing so quids in for the summer

Reactions: MP93
Now with the cambelt done and it being 10k lower it would be worth the 4.5-5k like you stated but you would need to sit on it, as from my experiance i never trust a car that has been owned for a month or 2 no matter how mint or low the mileage is. on the plus you have a great driving car for summer that will in the end owe you nothing so quids in for the summer

Good to know! Thanks mate

That's daft advice, if he keeps it six months then he will have had to take out a mortgage to fix everything that will go wrong. Sell now while you can still make sixpence

So I picked up a 2009 GW 197 cup last week, 62k on the clock with 12 months MOT.

In terms of mods is lowered unsure on how much and what on and has the back 3 windows tinted. The alloys are sprayed black (is this standard?) but have scuffs so need touching up.

It hasn't had the cambelt done so that is booked in for next week at a cost of just over £600.

However I paid £3k for it? I'm quite tempted to have the cambelt done and clean up the bits that need sorting and put it up for sale as I'm saving for a house at the moment but I do love driving it!

What do you guys think, bargain or not?

That's a lot of money for a cambelt change?.

That's a lot of money for a cambelt change?.

Cambelt, water pump, dephaser pulley, aux belt and tensioner, can end caps and crank bolt. I think the full kit from RPD is around £360. So works out £240 in labour for a day and a halfs work as they don't want to rush it

When I had my work done at Reno Tech last year they charged me £410 all in, pretty sure that is still the price on there website, I asked about the dephaser pulley and they said they could not understand why people changed these on the 197,s? Only issues they had were on the 182,s....

When I had my work done at Reno Tech last year they charged me £410 all in, pretty sure that is still the price on there website, I asked about the dephaser pulley and they said they could not understand why people changed these on the 197,s? Only issues they had were on the 182,s....

I did get a quote from them it was 520 without dephaser so for the sake of an extra 80 I may aswell have that done at the same time. I'm sure the 520 didn't include aux belt either if I remember correctly.

Did Renault iron out the dephaser pulley issues with the 197? A few people I've spoken to still think it's a problem as with the 182's