Different fuels = different drive?

Benno

Malmesbury 'Chode of the Year' 2019
Paid Member
I was low on fuel this afternoon in Swindon so I went to Sainsbury's and filled up with their super unleaded. I run BP Ultimate or Tesco Momentum normally, so I was unsure as to what this would be like, especially after bad experiences with V-Power.

But 10 miles down the road it sounded raspier than usual, felt a little nippier on the throttle and it now pops in every gear like it used to with the standard exhaust!

Would it be the fuel or is it just a placebo...?

You raise a good point...

Personally I just stick to V power or as another resort momentum, never tried anyone elses super...

Would definitely be interested in peoples experiences. I usually use V-Power but no real reason for it. Tried the tesco version previously but wasn't really paying attention to any changes?

Would definitely be interested in peoples experiences. I usually use V-Power but no real reason for it. Tried the tesco version previously but wasn't really paying attention to any changes?

My Clio runs like a bag of shit on V-Power. Don't know why, but I've tried two tanks and it was awful. Changed back over to Momentum and it was normal service resumed! But this Sainsbury's stuff has made it sound different and perform different...seems like it to me anyway..

Got half a tank left atm so will try and get the sainsburys stuff next time and see...

Out of interest what exactly happens on V-power? Bigger flat spot? Generally more sluggish?

V-Power does it for me. I've used nothing but since day 1 of ownership. You could see that as meaning i have no other comparison. You could also see it as having tried most things in a range of vehicles.....it has my utter confidence.

Cost-wise. I don't do enough miles to even consider it.....

Engine Dynamics also advised the use of it in these cars to me. And seeing as it was mapped with it in - he also suggested sticking with it.

For me its a modern, highly developed performance fuel, with all the additives needed to make it run great and stay running great. It's also reassuringly expensive :smile:

I've never tried V-power but run the car on momentum. I used to fill up with esso premium before but didn't really notice any difference between the two.

Got half a tank left atm so will try and get the sainsburys stuff next time and see...

Out of interest what exactly happens on V-power? Bigger flat spot? Generally more sluggish?

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Pulling away from roundabouts was borderline dangerous running it! The flat spot was as if it was pre-map..

V-Power does it for me. I've used nothing but since day 1 of ownership. You could see that as meaning i have no other comparison. You could also see it as having tried most things in a range of vehicles.....it has my utter confidence.

Cost-wise. I don't do enough miles to even consider it.....

Engine Dynamics also advised the use of it in these cars to me. And seeing as it was mapped with it in - he also suggested sticking with it.

For me its a modern, highly developed performance fuel, with all the additives needed to make it run great and stay running great. It's also reassuringly expensive :smile:

I had complete confidence in it pre-Clio! All of my friends used it and we regularly made trips to our nearest Shell purely to stick V-Power in! It just acted so weird running it, part of me wants to have another go as I was so pro V-P, but the other part of me says steer clear and stick to what it likes.

I thought the only thing that would have a real difference on performance was octane level, but I thought all the 'premium' fuels have pretty much the same level?

You raise a good point there.. First thing paul at RST asked me was if I had vpower in... Then went on to say he's notices a big difference if people run standard fuel...

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Pulling away from roundabouts was borderline dangerous running it! The flat spot was as if it was pre-map..

I had complete confidence in it pre-Clio! All of my friends used it and we regularly made trips to our nearest Shell purely to stick V-Power in! It just acted so weird running it, part of me wants to have another go as I was so pro V-P, but the other part of me says steer clear and stick to what it likes.

Absolutely agree. One person knows your car better than anyone.....you !

Only other shining example i have is my buddies GTR. Ran great he thought on Tesco's momentum from the local garage.

Until it was closed for a re-furb and he tried V-Power. Said he could literally feel the extra grunt after two tankfuls and unlike most GTR's the diesel-like smoking from booting it (And the black soot on the rear bumper) has literally all but disappeared.

***You know they brought out a new / improved formula / version out not long ago do you ?

Absolutely agree. One person knows your car better than anyone.....you !

Only other shining example i have is my buddies GTR. Ran great he thought on Tesco's momentum from the local garage.

Until it was closed for a re-furb and he tried V-Power. Said he could literally feel the extra grunt after two tankfuls and unlike most GTR's the diesel-like smoking from booting it (And the black soot on the rear bumper) has literally all but disappeared.

***You know they brought out a new / improved formula / version out not long ago do you ?

Hmm. No I didn't to be honest. Might be worth a go, only stuck £20 in today to get me away from that dreaded red zone so I may venture out in the next few days and tentatively try it..

You raise a good point there.. First thing paul at RST asked me was if I had vpower in... Then went on to say he's notices a big difference if people run standard fuel...

That's one thing I've never done, put standard unleaded in. As it's been mentioned and I'm sure my map is the same, is that point about running high octane.

I thought the only thing that would have a real difference on performance was octane level, but I thought all the 'premium' fuels have pretty much the same level?

Averages between 97 and 99 Ron I think? IIRC BP Ultimate is 97, Shell VP is 98 and Tesco Momentum 99. Not sure what the Sainsbury's was that I stuck in today.

The moment you start your car, this fuel helps to protect your engine as new Shell V-Power Unleaded is boosted with 30% more cleaning molecules than our previous formulation2.

HELPS TO REDUCE
Engine Friction
New Shell V-Power Unleaded contains a new friction reducing ingredient, which is designed to get to work at the heart of your engine to help critical parts move more freely. Go with our best performance fuel. 3

HELPS TO CLEAN

Intake Valves and/or Fuel Injector Nozzles
When you clean your shower head with a limescale remover, you see a big improvement in your shower spray’s performance. It is similar with new

Shell V-Power fuels; by helping remove built-up deposits that have already formed on the intake valves and/or fuel injector nozzles, it helps to restore your engine’s performance. 4

HELPS TO CLEAN
Key Fuel System Components
New Shell V-Power fuels act like a soapy sponge. Thanks to boosted cleaning technology, they help to clean and protect, giving you our best cleaning power for your engine. 5

OUR BEST
Performance Fuels
A nutritious diet helps athletes to perform. It is similar with your car’s engine. New Shell V-Power fuels with boosted DYNAFLEX Technology are designed to help restore your engine’s performance. 4

Dynaflex Technology
New Shell V-Power unleaded with boosted DYNAFLEX Technology for our best cleaning performance1.

Reactions: Benno
The moment you start your car, this fuel helps to protect your engine as new Shell V-Power Unleaded is boosted with 30% more cleaning molecules than our previous formulation2.

HELPS TO REDUCE
Engine Friction
New Shell V-Power Unleaded contains a new friction reducing ingredient, which is designed to get to work at the heart of your engine to help critical parts move more freely. Go with our best performance fuel. 3

HELPS TO CLEAN

When you clean your shower head with a limescale remover, you see a big improvement in your shower spray’s performance. It is similar with new

Shell V-Power fuels; by helping remove built-up deposits that have already formed on the intake valves and/or fuel injector nozzles, it helps to restore your engine’s performance. 4

HELPS TO CLEAN
New Shell V-Power fuels act like a soapy sponge. Thanks to boosted cleaning technology, they help to clean and protect, giving you our best cleaning power for your engine. 5

OUR BEST
Performance Fuels
A nutritious diet helps athletes to perform. It is similar with your car’s engine. New Shell V-Power fuels with boosted DYNAFLEX Technology are designed to help restore your engine’s performance. 4

Dynaflex Technology
New Shell V-Power unleaded with boosted DYNAFLEX Technology for our best cleaning performance1.

You on commission? :wink:

Only joking, quite an interesting read, crazy to think how much goes into it..

Reactions: sevenfourate
V Power in mine. As I can use a tank of petrol in the bike easily in one day I can compare quite quickly different fuels. Tesco Momentum used to make the bike pop and bang a lot but would use the fuel up quicker and lose around 10 miles to the tank.

HELPS TO REDUCE
Engine Friction

HELPS TO CLEAN

HELPS TO CLEAN

OUR BEST
Performance Fuels

Dynaflex Technology
Surely this makes the likes of Redex obsolete like we were discussing in another thread Shuv?

Surely this makes the likes of Redex obsolete like we were discussing in another thread Shuv?

I do believe I said or questioned that in my first post in that thread bud !

The ARCOIL stuff I’m going to continue to trial for a few tankfuls - is ‘different’ because it lowers the fuels flash point. Equalling a cleaner more powerful burn while upping MPG.

It might have some cleaning properties - but that’s not it’s main purpose......

So I’m using both for a while and hopefully they compliment each other.

I do believe I said or questioned that in my first post in that thread bud !

The ARCOIL stuff I’m going to continue to trial for a few tankfuls - is ‘different’ because it lowers the fuels flash point. Equalling a cleaner more powerful burn while upping MPG.

It might have some cleaning properties - but that’s not it’s main purpose......

So I’m using both for a while and hopefully they compliment each other.
It was this thread I was thinking of mate rather than the ARCOIL one. Will be keen to know how you get on.