Diy wheel refurb

ok so whilst collecting meg bits I decided whilst it's sat doing nothing I might tackle the wheels. So I've read the how to, any kits better than others? Can't find much on eBay except paint, rather than buying it all separate there must be full kits

Yeah they will be charging a lot because it's a kit, be lot cheaper buying individually, just do that bud, be worth the effort.

Just need a couple of grades of sanding paper, filler, primer, paint and laquer in the desired colour.

ok so whilst collecting meg bits I decided whilst it's sat doing nothing I might tackle the wheels. So I've read the how to, any kits better than others? Can't find much on eBay except paint, rather than buying it all separate there must be full kits

Where are you based? I work for Rader International. Maybe we could help?

www.raderinternational.com

We remanufacture alloy wheels and occasionally do special requests. Colour changes and details. For example i8 and 675LT

fc3707b39bbbbf88d79d7c4c37f00e1c.jpgdc322b322ad312621cdd3e26a9598581.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dystant
Will look superb mate. You need to be about 18 to carry the look off and me and you have no chance, but the car will look awesome for sure.........
Will look right at home when the social housing chavs move in down the road. Have already seen a blue ka with red wheels go in and out so I will be in good hands

Reactions: sevenfourate
TBH mate, I think spraying is not as good as a good powder coating, the secret I feel is the sand blasting to get to the good solid surface, it will be hard work hand sanding and filling, eventually it will bubble again, I had the wifes wheels powdercoated a year and a half ago, still perfect with not one chip mark.

The wheels on my r27 were pro painted and they are chipping (all be it fairly small) and round the ctrs to the badges are beginning to bubble slightly, it will be power coating for me when I change the tyres.

TBH mate, I think spraying is not as good as a good powder coating, the secret I feel is the sand blasting to get to the good solid surface, it will be hard work hand sanding and filling, eventually it will bubble again, I had the wifes wheels powdercoated a year and a half ago, still perfect with not one chip mark.

The wheels on my r27 were pro painted and they are chipping (all be it fairly small) and round the ctrs to the badges are beginning to bubble slightly, it will be power coating for me when I change the tyres.
So if you powdercoat does the damage not need repairing ?

Still needs repaired if damaged as any finish will, but I felt the coating seemed to be harder, as in more resist and to chipping unlike the spray painting, the small chips in the wheels that are filled, smoothed and painted are ways going to be easier chipped as they are a weak spot, painted or not, even you g,pot the wheels sandblasted it would give you a base for a better finish if home spraying.

i did mine myself and they are still holding up well nearly 12 months. my feeling is if you do them yourself and control the cost you can change then whenever you want to for relatively small cost.

I was going to paint my spare set of silverstones & had a go on one wheel but it came out shocking
took me hours with sandpaper,primer etc just not worth the time & effort for a crap job
called a place local to me quoted £130 for all 4 fully repaired & power coated
so dropping them off at the weekend pic's to follow

Reactions: sevenfourate
I was going to paint my spare set of silverstones & had a go on one wheel but it came out shocking
took me hours with sandpaper,primer etc just not worth the time & effort for a crap job
called a place local to me quoted £130 for all 4 fully repaired & power coated
so dropping them off at the weekend pic's to follow

Exciting - good price too !

Same colour ?

Started work on my wheels today. Will start a thread and post the before, during and after pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk