Engine fan cutting in

Hi everyone,
I've only just bought the 197 so just after a bit of advice/knowledge! My fan seems to kick in quite often and very early from normal driving and not even being in traffic, i.e a ten minute drive, pull up on the drive and within 30 seconds the fan kicks in, is this normal? (The air con is switched off)
Coolant level is between min and max and doesn't seem to have dropped but to be fair I haven't driven it a lot yet as it only gets driven at weekends. The temp gauge doesn't go up higher than normal I don't think, hopefully it's just me being paranoid but I've never had a car where the fan cuts in so much!

Thanks very much

Where is it temp gauge needle? It actually sits very low and the thermostat opens at 75 degrees. This is generally very low compared to most cars and should sit between the first and second marks, only about a third of the way across the range.

If it constantly higher than that. A previous owner may have fitted a higher temp thermostat, which is causing the fan to come on.

I think the fan comes on at about 90 degrees. On my car this is just over the second mark. The fan rarely comes on unless stuck in traffic.

Have you got an OBD port dongle thing? These with an app on your phone will allow you to access engine temp, as well as other things, fault code reader etc. You can get Bluetooth and Wifi types, Bluetooth don’t work with iPhones, both work on Android.

It will show you what temp you’re running as you drive around / sit in traffic etc. It should highlight if your thermostat is opening / closing at the right temps.

Usually when thermostats fail, they fail open and cause the car to generally run cooler.

Be careful using your mobile app when driving. Dangerous and if caught could result in 3 points and £100 fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sevenfourate
Good post above.

I can only add I've literally heard mine come on once or twice in a little over a year of ownership. So not normal to have it come on so often IMO....

Thanks for the replies.

My temperature needle sits just over the second mark but does rise to the third and back down again during normal driving. I haven't driven the car a lot yet as I've not had it long. But it didn't seem right the fan coming on like it does so I'll have to look into this more as I don't want to do any damage if it's over heating. I might put fresh coolant in it and bleed the system to see if that makes a difference.