Engine temperature?

Hi everyone,

since this is the first time I drive or own Clio200 I do not know if temperature level shown by my temperature indicator is ok? It seems to low compared to other cars I drove..

Mostly, during normal driving conditions, even after 20-30 min of normal or extremely fast driving the temperature level is as shown on the below picture:

temp-gauge.jpg

If I get jammed in heavy traffic for 5-10 min, temperature rises to the level I consider to be normal (most commonly 1/2 of the temperature range on the gauge presents approximately 90 deg celsius..)

tempgauge2.jpg

Many thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Looks quit normal, this time of year mine seems to be hovering between the 2nd and 3rd notch.

Outside temperature effects it as well slightly, or at least till the engines completely warmed up and not just the coolant.

with climate control/aircon on, keeps it low as using aircon bring on the radiator fans

I've just ordered new thermostat and planning to change it tomorrow.

Dials are fine.. I wich I could have GTI's torque in Clio chassis.. :smile: just kiddin', small *******, real deal. :smile:

mine always ran like in the first pic, turn my air con/climate off and sat in traffic went upto half like in the second pic, i would say its normal, especially with the colder weather coming in. mine always made good power etc.

Mine is the same also. As soon as it gets past the first notch (1st pic) the engine performs normally. If I get stuck in traffic it goes to about the middle like the second pic.

im pretty sure a knackard thermostat will cause the engine to take longer if at all to get upto temp, but it shouldnt drop to 0.

It warms up quickly, but cannot get past 1st mark while driving normally..
Reaching 2nd mark (2nd picture) is achivable only in have jam...

I will replace it tomorrow..perhaps I should have red the real temperature first..

mine was taking ages to warm up last time it was on the rollers so we changed the stat and job sorted,the needle used to sit where yours does in the first pic but now sits like the second pic all the time

I have a digital temp gauge on my dash and it levels at 73 degrees during normal traffic, around 80ish with a spirited drive and can reach upto 88 in traffic. Quite a variation.

Then again my 172 does exactly the same thing as your pictures describe.