Exhaust flexi split

Hi all,

So my exhaust flexi pipe has split, made the car a bit noisier, cannot smell fumes though, but the split/hole is there as me and my mechanic have seen it while it was on the lifts.

Fairly disgruntled albeit loyal owner right now, spent £3700.00 in invoices in my 2 years of ownership as it seems I got every single common fault one after another. I treat her well, serviced prematurely and regular oil changes, gearbox oil chanss, updated brakes, etc.

So I am looking down the barrel at another £1k + job, I just want to put this expenditure off for while to be honest, it’s dragging my RS ownership experience down.

Car is 59 plate 200 sitting on 58k miles.

Is there a cheaper fix to this than replacing the whole unit and a 5 hour labour bill?

Thanks in advance.

You'll be pleased to hear that its not all doom and gloom, and you do have options, albeit none of them are going to be a 'cheap' fix. BUT they aren't going to be 1k+ either.

Firstly, the most common thing people do, is fit the toyosport manifold, which is on eBay for just under £200... You can expect £300 ish labour, as the subframe has to be dropped, and its a bit of a pig to get out. Whilst your there replace the lower engine mounts to avoid and knocking issues.

You could also have the manifold out, have new flexi's welded in, but the car will obviously have to be up on the ramp whilst the welding is commenced (if you have a garage that can weld them properly that is). This is cheaper, but the same thing is likely to happen again further down the line.

or you can find someone selling a standard manifold with good flexis £80-£150 then labour on top of that probably cheapest route

Thanks guys.

Must say mine has been one massive money pit. For a car not worth more than £5k they sure do ask a lot of the wallet. Maybe I got a bag egg.

Thanks guys.

Must say mine has been one massive money pit. For a car not worth more than £5k they sure do ask a lot of the wallet. Maybe I got a bag egg.
I think once they get to 70-80k and 8 years old plus, lots of things will need changing unless it’s been garaged from new. Manifold, gearbox, exhaust, suspension, ball joints, gearbox etc etc... just to name a few!

Sorry Ben but would you happen to know how long I can drive it like this? It is not awfully loud at present to be honest, slightly louder than exhaust.

I would rather save for a couple months and get a full exhaust system while I’m at it.

Sorry Ben but would you happen to know how long I can drive it like this? It is not awfully loud at present to be honest, slightly louder than exhaust.

I would rather save for a couple months and get a full exhaust system while I’m at it.

I wouldn't advise leaving it for a long long time, but I left mine for a few months with no real side effects...

Sorry for the daft question.

Would this;

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-197-3-CLIO-200-SPORT-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-RECONDITIONED-READY-TO-POST-/172919535776?hash=item2842ceb8a0:m:mJg8sv94h2dhPjYuCaBcKKQ&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac188aa52-b5d5-11e7-ba33-74dbd18008d5%7Cparentrq%3A3b7c77a115f0ab6ad3888262ffff82e4%7Ciid%3A7

Come with the flexis? Mine are split as per above, or I do need to buy more stuff?

Lastly, this is the same price as a new toyosport manifold, what’s better?
the flexis are pictured in the photo..i would say yes..toyo man costs roughly around the same so it's up to you..reconditioned or brand new??

Thank you.

I would assume that Toyosport is of less quality than OEM then?

Or is the seller of the preowned being optimistic with the price?

I found an after market replacement on ebay (Mr Auto) which would be standard and considering there is a Cat in it's not that badly priced.

upload_2017-10-20_21-56-17.png