F1 season 2017 comments here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny comment in the drivers' presser from Kevin Magnussen re. the halo - "if it looks shit, then it is shit" LOL

Sauber have announced they will be continuing with Ferrari engines and have ditched the plan to run Honda engines in 2018.

Reactions: Byron77 and Chris
Funny comment in the drivers' presser from Kevin Magnussen re. the halo - "if it looks shit, then it is shit" LOL

Sauber have announced they will be continuing with Ferrari engines and have ditched the plan to run Honda engines in 2018.

Haha. Most stupid looking thing ever, the drivers know the risks...

Reactions: Sean197

That's a huge kick in the teeth for Honda. And it looks like it means McLaren will be staying with them from what I've been reading. NOT good!

Seb was absolutely pants this morning. SO hope that continues!

Red Bulls look strong!

So... halo. Thoughts?

Firstly, I've only just learned they're going to be able to add a 20mm edge to it for aero purposes and little winglets on the side. They're going to look SOOOOOO bad!!! All I see is flip flop and it just looks utterly stupid. And how on earth do they know how it's going to work for the driver's vision when in tight traffic going up through Eau Rouge to Raidillon? Apparently it's been tested but where? And how? Transparency from the FIA??? Erm, no.

So I'm left with two over-riding thoughts here. One, If it does make the sport safer, it has to happen. It's not up to the public to decide how much danger these guys should have to deal with. Alonso made a very good point, where do we draw the line? How much danger does the public want for their entertainment? Take out seatbelts? Go back to leather helmets? I've seen enough people I support and respect losing their life in a racing car. Anything safer is always better. Sadly, some of this effects the racing. Gravel being replaced with tarmac for instance, it's a tough call all round. For me, something should be done, but it should be tested PROPERLY in the public eye (hell, make a bloody feature of it, fan engagement and all that...) and aesthetics should definitely be considered and implemented in a sensible fashion. The halo is just hideous.

Secondly, this is all happening in the way that it is (ie. a complete ugly shambles) because that utter (long list of the very worst swearwords you can imagine) Todt is absolutely culpable for the death of Jules Bianchi. And if he isn't, then the person below him who is needs to step forward. Although given the lengths that Todt has gone to in order to cover this up, it's pretty obvious where the buck stops. And this scumtwunt is hoping to become the UN secretary for road safety or something? It's an absolutely disgraceful state of affairs and because of it, this is happening to one of the biggest sports in the world??? It just beggars belief. Todd should be replaced immediately in my opinion. The halo will always look like it has big letters on it saying TODT to me.

Livid. They've made a complete mess of this sport.

P.S. Palmer is out surely? Kubica only needs to do some half decent times in the test and the drive has got to be his. Sorry Jolyon, you've simply not been good enough.

Looks set to be a good race this weekend.. Red Bull are on it, Grojean struggling with brakes.. again.. Bottas set to claim another win hopefully

Reactions: ///M
halo is a political decision. nothing to do with safety. unless 'safety' means 'saving face of the FIA bobo's'. cars will look hideous. but imho, cars still aren't lookers. too much aero. too big a front wing. i'll admit, better than what we had last year. remember the high rear wings? yuk. or the narrow track width of the 1998 cars? yuk. or the grooved tyres? yuk. the 2007 cars with even more aero? yuk. the first bulky turbo cars (toleman 179 anyone?). yuk.

that said, will i stop watching? of course not. all that political bs won't stop the best drivers in the world having a go at each other.

Reactions: ///M and Sean197
Oh, and another thing. I really hope Brundle is ok. All hush hush. Hope it's nothing that has any lasting effects. Bloke is a legend.

what's up with brundle? loved his grid walk when he was with the BBC.

Looks set to be a good race this weekend.. Red Bull are on it, Grojean struggling with brakes.. again.. Bottas set to claim another win hopefully

Grosjean, did you hear his little freak out over the radio? Hilarious.

Red Bull are looking very strong. Although I don't think we've seen the best of Lewis yet.

halo is a political decision. nothing to do with safety. unless 'safety' means 'saving face of the FIA bobo's'. cars will look hideous. but imho, cars still aren't lookers. too much aero. too big a front wing. i'll admit, better than what we had last year. remember the high rear wings? yuk. or the narrow track width of the 1998 cars? yuk. or the grooved tyres? yuk. the 2007 cars with even more aero? yuk. the first bulky turbo cars (toleman 179 anyone?). yuk.

that said, will i stop watching? of course not. all that political bs won't stop the best drivers in the world having a go at each other.

I think I just love F1 cars, sure I have my favourites (MP4/6 or Ferrari 312 T) but they all look amazing to me. I love the engineering and design aspect too. But sadly, however cool all that aero is, it's not done any favours for the racing.

Martin Brundle... don't know. What I have read is only sketchy but it seems that he was due to do his grid walk at Silverstone and was taken really ill. Had a stay in hospital and now he's recovering. He posted on twitter to say he's doing ok and it's not his heart (I also didn't know he had a "small heart attack" last year while running to the grid at Monaco!).

The man is a legend. Hoping he's fully back up and running asap with no lasting effects.

Grosjean, did you hear his little freak out over the radio? Hilarious.

Red Bull are looking very strong. Although I don't think we've seen the best of Lewis yet.

Hahaha yeah I did... He is just not happy with the car and they have changed brake suppliers if I remember correctly..

I think Lewis is too in his head sometimes.. I think the focused Finn has one on him, if not this season then definitely next

Reactions: ///M
Well the last 4 pages have been an interesting read whilst on the train.
I’m looking forward to this weekend’s racing, and I do hope Max doesn’t suffer any further misfortune, he’s the proverbial cat among the pigeons.
Brundle won’t be returning for this race either, it’s very odd indeed given his stomach bug or whatever it was. He’s the main reason I signed up to Sky a few years back, such an insightful commentator.
Can we take bets on the likelihood Lewis had a 3-way with Rihanna and Rita Ora? [emoji16]

Well the last 4 pages have been an interesting read whilst on the train.
I’m looking forward to this weekend’s racing, and I do hope Max doesn’t suffer any further misfortune, he’s the proverbial cat among the pigeons.
Brundle won’t be returning for this race either, it’s very odd indeed given his stomach bug or whatever it was. He’s the main reason I signed up to Sky a few years back, such an insightful commentator.
Can we take bets on the likelihood Lewis had a 3-way with Rihanna and Rita Ora? [emoji16]

Dunno about the 3way but he's reportedly had both of them, lucky bastard lol

I still think the halo is a knee-jerk reaction. I agree that it will enhance safety and prevent large items of bodywork/tyres etc hitting the driver's head - but what if it's something small like the spring that clobbered Massa? The halo won't stop that. Yes, the Massa incident was a freak, however so was Bianchi's - you can't possibly cover all the bases when it comes to accidents like this.

The one thing that bugs me about it, is that there will unfortunately one day be an accident where either the halo will not do it's job, or it will cause a hindrance - i.e. stopping a driver exiting the car quickly, and there will be a massive uproar. And we will be back to square one.

I'm not saying the FIA do nothing, however how long will it be before they just ban open cockpit racing, full stop? For me, that's the only solution to 100% protect the driver's heads from injury. The halo just smacks of a middle-ground/sat on the fence solution - it's either open-cockpit or it isn't.

Hahaha yeah I did... He is just not happy with the car and they have changed brake suppliers if I remember correctly..

I think Lewis is too in his head sometimes.. I think the focused Finn has one on him, if not this season then definitely next

Yep, looks like you're right. He's having one of those weekends where he's just not there. Clear he has better pace that we've not seen yet, but when he's like this, there's a chance we won't.

Hoping for Ferrari problems tomorrow! :smiley:

Reactions: Byron77
Anyone watch the F2 race? Absolutely cracking race, I'll be happy if the F1 is that good tomorrow.

Leclerc looks to be the real deal. Surely in F1 next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Thread Suggestions