F1 season 2018 comments here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh lastname vs lastname, that was a good bit...

:worried:

Crap GP. I said to the Mrs at the end of the first lap, that's it, they're already stuck in single file order, nothing else will happen.

How wrong I was, something did indeed happen. Merc lost the GP by not telling their driver to go fast enough. What a situ!

And don't get me started on Britney. Had to turn the TV over every time that smug idiot came on the screen. Maybe I need to start a #rosbergout campaign! Can't see me lasting the season right now...

Merc lost the GP by not telling their driver to go fast enough. What a situ!

And there's the problem. How can you have a motor 'race' where someone is trying to win but the regs don't allow them to go flat out? People moaned about the refuelling era, but at least the cars went as fast as they could from the start, non of this saving fuel and tyres shite. I mean, who the hell cares whether they use 100kg of fuel or 200kg? I've never watched a race and thought 'ah what a driver, he's clearly trying to max out his mpg'. WEC is a million times better than F1, it's only a shame that there aren't more manufacturers.

And there's the problem. How can you have a motor 'race' where someone is trying to win but the regs don't allow them to go flat out? People moaned about the refuelling era, but at least the cars went as fast as they could from the start, non of this saving fuel and tyres shite. I mean, who the hell cares whether they use 100kg of fuel or 200kg? I've never watched a race and thought 'ah what a driver, he's clearly trying to max out his mpg'. WEC is a million times better than F1, it's only a shame that there aren't more manufacturers.

It's utterly crazy isn't it?

Imagine football if FIFA made the goals so freaking small that almost all games ended in a dull 0-0? That's exactly how ridiculous this situation is.

Reactions: peter and Sean197
I think they had long discussion in Haas after race about how they change tyres and what went wrong.
Shame, they had such great start for race.
I am glad we have F1 back, yesterday race was boring as you said.

Reactions: Sean197
Wonder how much help Haas will get from Ferrari for throwing the race for them?

:smiley:
LOL they get enough help - the only thing they do is themselves is their aero. Dallara build their chassis and the rest of their parts are Ferrari. It's ridiculous given that Williams vetoed customer cars in 2008 when prodrive wanted to run customer McLarens, but have been strangely quiet on the Haas.

Reactions: peter and ///M
LOL they get enough help - the only thing they do is themselves is their aero. Dallara build their chassis and the rest of their parts are Ferrari. It's ridiculous given that Williams vetoed customer cars in 2008 when prodrive wanted to run customer McLarens, but have been strangely quiet on the Haas.

Ha, given how things are going over there, Williams are best not drawing attention to themselves in any way what so ever I think!

Sad times for a once great team.

Ha, given how things are going over there, Williams are best not drawing attention to themselves in any way what so ever I think!

Sad times for a once great team.

Yup. Maybe they should get Mercedes to build their car for them :wink:

love your posts boys. good laugh. :grinning:
@///M ... what? no mentiones of danny ric?

Credit where it is due. Dan drove very well during the race to be fair. Under a LOT of pressure too. Although it seemed he couldn't get too close to Max during practice and qualifying, he always seems to be able to pull it together in the race. He also had the pass of the race when he got past the Renault too.

I'm still going to enjoy watching him get his arse kicked by Max for the season. And the fall out from his crazy rabid fans when rather than admit he might not be the best driver since the sport began, they'll just blame that Evil Dr. Marko :smiley:

Last edited:
Reactions: peter
Credit where it is due. Dan drove very well during the race to be fair. Under a LOT of pressure too. Although it seemed he couldn't get too close to Max during practice and qualifying, he always seems to be able to pull it together in the race. He also had the pass of the race when he got passed the Renault too.

I'm still going to enjoy watching him get his arse kicked by Max for the season. And the fall out from his crazy rabid fans when rather than admit he might not be the best driver since the sport began, they'll just blame that Evil Dr. Marko :smiley:

I have a feeling Danny Ric will be at Mercedes next year, as Bottas will be nowhere this year again. Either that or Max will go to Mercedes, I doubt he'll be happy that Red Bull were again the 3rd-best team (despite what that twat Horner says) and it showed in his driving.

Reactions: ///M
I have a feeling Danny Ric will be at Mercedes next year, as Bottas will be nowhere this year again. Either that or Max will go to Mercedes, I doubt he'll be happy that Red Bull were again the 3rd-best team (despite what that twat Horner says) and it showed in his driving.

Need to see what Renault do with the engines first I think. Both Max and Horner talk as if they know Renault have something up their sleeves and they're some way off the full performance from that engine so they are saying. It will be very interesting to see if that bears any fruit but I'm pretty confident Max will stay there for a while.

As for that bloke who likes to drink from a well worn shoe, I think you're right, the performance of Hairy Bottas is key, but honestly I think he'll do just enough to keep DR out of the seat. Aside from that, if I was Toto, I'd be far more keen to get Ocon in the car than DR.

And I can't for one minute see him going to Ferrari when they have a similar situation with Leclerc, who I think is going to be pretty damn special once he gets in a competitive car.

So what next for DR? Stay at RB and be a number two to Max or what? Renault? He's in a very bad place at the moment I think and needs to perform superbly to get anything at all. Very interesting to see how all this plays out. I won't lose any sleep if the bloke with no class and his classless fans get a very rude awakening!

@///M if RB get Honda engines next year (when hopefully Renault tell them to fuck off) I can't see either of the current RB drivers staying beyond 2019!
Good shout on Ocon, Mercedes need someone who can take points off the Ferrari when Hamilton doesn't win. Right now it does look like Hamilton is fighting Ferrari on his own with Bottas only filling in on the odd occasion, which isn't often enough. he fact he finished 3rd last season says it all. He really needs to up his game.

@///M if RB get Honda engines next year (when hopefully Renault tell them to fuck off) I can't see either of the current RB drivers staying beyond 2019!
Good shout on Ocon, Mercedes need someone who can take points off the Ferrari when Hamilton doesn't win. Right now it does look like Hamilton is fighting Ferrari on his own with Bottas only filling in on the odd occasion, which isn't often enough. he fact he finished 3rd last season says it all. He really needs to up his game.

The problem with the Renault / Honda situ is that, as far as I'm aware, Renault are contractually obliged to supply three teams. So it might not be as straight forward as Renault telling RB where to stick it... I guess we'll see on that point.

And you make a good point about Bottas, Sunday would have been a little different if he hadn't crashed in Q3 and ended up leaving Lewis to fight the two Ferraris on his own. He has a hell of a lot to prove this season!

The problem with the Renault / Honda situ is that, as far as I'm aware, Renault are contractually obliged to supply three teams. So it might not be as straight forward as Renault telling RB where to stick it... I guess we'll see on that point.

I think the contract states they can supply engines to no more than 3 teams, and that they are obliged to supply an engine to Red Bull "if asked to do so". By whom, though, I'm not sure. I may be wrong though! Funny how Honda have suddenly become reliable though!

I think the contract states they can supply engines to no more than 3 teams, and that they are obliged to supply an engine to Red Bull "if asked to do so". By whom, though, I'm not sure. I may be wrong though! Funny how Honda have suddenly become reliable though!

Pretty amazing huh? And all that time we thought Mclaren's problems were all down to the engine...

Well, some people did anyway... :smiley:

The Honda ICE was impressive all the way through testing too.

It's perfectly possible that Honda come good, like genuinely good, and RB decide to go with them before Renault even have a chance to tell them to do one. Not sure about the contract situation though, my understanding was that manufacturers were obliged to supply three teams (if needed) and not that it was a maximum of three. Can't even remember where I read that so would be difficult to look it up. Good chance I'm wrong!

honda was only reliable in testing because they changed engines more often than the other teams (i read they used up to six engines per car in testing), gasly had his MGU-H fail in melbourne and hartley was the only driver to be lapped. also, the toro rossos weren't impressive in the speed traps. that said, mclaren wasn't either ...

i really don't see mercedes chosing ocon over ricciardo. i rate ocon highly, but ricciardo has a lot more experience. he knows how to win too and is one of the best overtakers in the field. personally, i'd love to see how he compares to hamilton. though i'm not sure if mercedes wants to go back to the days of having two #1 drivers in the team.

i believe max has a long term contract with red bull (till the end of 2020?).

you know, i'm really gutted for räikkönen. good weekend. deserved a better result.

on the honda saga dont forget maclaren also wanted exceptionally tight packaging of the engine which forced honda to run a smaller inlet on the compressor side and the oil tank balls up as well...which then led tham to another redesign the following season!
having said that honda only did a good job in the turbo era and the early v12/v10 with maclaren as when they were with b-a-r thier engines werent the most reliable or most powerful and have since lost their way to innovate

honda was only reliable in testing because they changed engines more often than the other teams (i read they used up to six engines per car in testing), gasly had his MGU-H fail in melbourne and hartley was the only driver to be lapped. also, the toro rossos weren't impressive in the speed traps. that said, mclaren wasn't either ...

i really don't see mercedes chosing ocon over ricciardo. i rate ocon highly, but ricciardo has a lot more experience. he knows how to win too and is one of the best overtakers in the field. personally, i'd love to see how he compares to hamilton. though i'm not sure if mercedes wants to go back to the days of having two #1 drivers in the team.

i believe max has a long term contract with red bull (till the end of 2020?).

you know, i'm really gutted for räikkönen. good weekend. deserved a better result.

True Peter, but how many full on engine blow ups did they have? None. Which is an improvement of something like 429 compared to 2017 testing for McLaren!

Totally agree about Kimi, deserved 2nd at least. He had the measure of Seb for the whole weekend. I think it was only a matter of time before the team moved Kimi out of the way to let Seb through though.

As for DR vs Ocon, they don’t need experience, they have that in spades with Lewis. They need their next big thing for years to come. I think Ocon stands a much better chance there than DR given that he’s fast approaching 30.

Reactions: peter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Thread Suggestions