Fault- "Steering not locked" on dash

Liam Gunby

Paid Member
Clio wouldn't start and still wont. Had to get it recovered home.
The fault steering not locked keeps coming up on dash.
Iv had the battery off, full locked both ways the steering, kicked it, had they key cars in and out.
Managed to get the steering lock on a few times but nothing helped.

Need some serious answers to what it could be?

Please help....

I’m pretty sure I had this and it turned out the battery was knackered

Personally I've only ever seen that error when I've been connected with CLiP and it's spat it's dummy out while communicating.

As above, check the battery voltage is +12V and higher when running, then I'd be looking at the steering wheel angle sensor.

A cheap nasty test if you don't have access to a multimeter might be to turn all the lights, fans, radio off etc. and then see it it starts...

What is it with clio's not starting at the mo? :astonished:

Last edited:
Personally I've only ever seen that error when I've been connected with CLiP and it's spat it's dummy out while communicating.

As above, check battery voltage is +12V and higher when running, then I'd be looking at the steering wheel angle sensor.

What is it with clio's not starting at the mo? :astonished:
Makes me frightened to get mine out!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It still wont start. Ignition comes on and it primes the fuel pump as if it's going to start then doesn't do anything. Press button again and it flashes up that messege.
I'll get a multi meter on it see if it's that.
Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It still wont start. Ignition comes on and it primes the fuel pump as if it's going to start then doesn't do anything. Press button again and it flashes up that messege.
Cheers

duff battery....

Cheers

As I said on Facebook, if it's not the battery I'd say it's almost definitely the starter. Try rocking the car back and forth in 6th gear and see if it'll start. If so it's a nearly knackered starter that's sticking. Or there's a chance it could be beyond that and be completely dead. If it bump starts, there's your issue.

Iv checked the battery with volt meter and its reading over 12v. Iv changed the key for battery's too. And checked all the fuses.

Someone said it could be steering angle sensor. I have no idea where this is or how to go about checking tbh.

You'd need CLiP mate, I did some googling earlier and found some odd answers to the "steering not locked" issue...

Duff batteries

Duff starters

Duff fuel pumps

Blown fuses (cooling fan?)

All above seemed to revolve around a "fault" in the "startup" procedure, so the message on the dash could be a red herring...

Last edited:
You'd need CLiP mate, I did some googling earlier and found some odd answers to the "steering not locked" issue...

Duff batteries

Duff starters

Duff fuel pumps

Blown fuses (cooling fan?)

All seemed to revolve around a "fault" in the "startup" procedure, so the message on the dash could be a red herring...

If it's priming the fuel pump I'd put money on it being the starter. But what do I know eh? :think:

I think I also read something about rocking the steering wheel while holding down the start button, but like @Benno said try bumping it off and start ruling stuff out...

Mine did exactly same, battery read fine but I changed it anyway to see if it fixed it and it was fine after- never had a problem in the future either!

Have seen this issue a few of times. Once on my Megane 265, disconnected battery and reconnected after 10 minutes and it was fine.

Then during my service days with Renault I saw it twice, once was caused by the crankshaft/camshaft sensor (not 100% sure which) and the second time was the steering lock itself.

Just had the same problem turned out to be the battery
mine was still on the original one so 12years old
and both my door locking buttons now work aswell

Tested the battery again with above 12v readings and that is with ignition on and radio and a/c etc. Got a few mates over last night to help see if we could bump start it and we did. Left it running for 15 mins and turned it off. Then wouldn't start again.
So new starter motor I think.....
The steering not locked messege was obviously a red herring...

Thanks everyone for the help!!!