Fault with trip computer / Wiper stalk unit

Discussion in 'Interior and Audio' started by tauhammerhead, Jul 17, 2016.

1. tauhammerhead

tauhammerhead Paid Member

Clio 197
    Hello!

I'm new to the forum! I have an '08 197 clio RS (will hopefully post some pics here soon :thumbup:smile:.

The buttons on the end of the wiper stalk seem to no longer work so I can't change display. I suspect this will also cause problems when I take it to get serviced and they won't be able to reset it. Has anybody else had this issue?

I've seen a how-to for replacing the indicator stalk unit but not the other side. Is it straight forward for the other side and can I buy a used unit to fit in or is there some dodgy stuff with the wiring that means I need to buy it new?

Best,

Tauhammerhead

2. Mattb_197

Mattb_197

Lancashire
    Clio Sport 197
    There is a guide floating about on here somewhere that details how to remove them and take them to bits to clean the contacts, I'd try that first as they're not the cheapest of things to replace. I need to do both of mine really as the wiper stalk trip buttons sometimes don't work, the wipers sometimes have a funny do and if I've got the fog lights on sometimes indicating will turn them off lol. Good old French electronics!

3. tauhammerhead

tauhammerhead Paid Member

Clio 197
    Very delayed response and sorry admins for reviving this post but I thought it may be useful for future people!

Wiper stalk was actually relatively straight forward to remove (just need to be careful to disconnect the wires around the unit before you yank too hard!).

I tried out a couple of different second hand units before finding out that the wiper stalk was fine - the actual issue lay with the UCH which needed completely replacing! Had to take it into Renault and have a new one fitted and programmed for a total of £400 :shocked: