First Cat broken!

Hi All,

My first post on here. I've had my 200 FF with the cup chassis for just over a year now. Loved it so far until a few days ago an unusual rattle made an appearance. Long story short the first cat after the manifold is knackered. I don't have the money to replace that at the moment so I guy I know said for now you could remove the internals of the broken one. Reading around it looks like you only need the main cat of course emissions anyway.

So I have two questions;

1: does anyone know if this will bring the engine management light on? Or harm my economy?

2: will it exaggerate the flat spot?

All feed back would be appreciated :smile:

From what I understand:

1. It shouldn't do, if anything after a map you will see a slightly better economy because of less restriction, but its minimal.
2. Mixed reports, depends how sensitive you are. A remap to even out the flatspot these cars have anyway is a good idea.

I've a Toyosport manifold which comes without the first cat and I haven't experienced any of the problems you listed. As far as I know removal of the main (second) cat results in these, not the first one.

Sorry to clog the post, my manifold is completely ruined that’s currently on my 197, I’ve purchased a used manifold off eBay and judging by the photos it hadn’t done a lot of miles. When I move it around/shake it there’s a noise coming from the cat sounds like the internals have come loose? Does this mean the cat is useless? Am I as well judging binning it?

Sorry to clog the post, my manifold is completely ruined that’s currently on my 197, I’ve purchased a used manifold off eBay and judging by the photos it hadn’t done a lot of miles. When I move it around/shake it there’s a noise coming from the cat sounds like the internals have come loose? Does this mean the cat is useless? Am I as well judging binning it?

Sounds so... you could weld in new flexis!

Cut it out and dig out the internals, weld it back together and away you go.

Bit of an update, can't really tell what it's like with the cats internals removed. My flexi quickly went down hill and now sounds like a tractor. Luckily the nice folks at Evans halshaw have cats covered under their Warranty, so it's a good job that's attached to the manifold. I get a new one

The car is currently running really lean, terrible to drive at the moment...

Bit of an update, can't really tell what it's like with the cats internals removed. My flexi quickly went down hill and now sounds like a tractor. Luckily the nice folks at Evans halshaw have cats covered under their Warranty, so it's a good job that's attached to the manifold. I get a new one

The car is currently running really lean, terrible to drive at the moment...

Cracking result that! Ask to keep the old one and chop+weld a new one in!!

Similar Thread Suggestions