Fuel consumption, first drive!

Hi toRenault sport enthusiasts. Am new to this forum and new to Renault too. Before picking up my 2008 197 Cup today I was already wondering if i'd made a mistake in purchasing it after so many people said fuel consumption on 197 was really poor. So I ran a test. I put 21.5 litres in on a bone dry tank and drove home from Stoke-on-Trent to Westminster (dual carriageway and motorway with gentle throttle and a few blasts here and there). The result was 186 miles on 4.7 gallons, which comes out at 39.6 mpg! ( phew! Have a 1200 mile trip to Lithuania coming up soon and was freaking out somewhat). First thoughts are that it's a very capable and focused car: I love the cup suspension, drilled discs and red brembos, the nimbus grey paint and black speedlines as well as the addictive exhaust howl when you use plenty of revs and right foot. My only small gripe is the industrially heavy clutch, it's like a gym workout! Wishing all of you safe b-road blasts.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 58
Welcome aboard Paul.

Yes these cars can be fairly frugal if your A/ On a run or B/ Drive like your'e in a funeral procession :smile: It's just when you get bit joyous with the loud pedal they bite you in the wallet ! But thats what we bought them for right ?

I've had mine around a year and am averaging 32.1mpg over 7k for reference......

Enjoy the new weapon and welcome to the forum

Welcome aboard Paul.

Yes these cars can be fairly frugal if your A/ On a run or B/ Drive like your'e in a funeral procession :smile: It's just when you get bit joyous with the loud pedal they bite you in the wallet ! But thats what we bought them for right ?

I've had mine around a year and am averaging 32.1mpg over 7k for reference......

Enjoy the new weapon and welcome to the forum
Thanks, oh dear... Air con fluid now all over the floor and an undertray that's thoroughly shagged... Baptism by fire!!!! ;-)

Welcome to the forum, Paul!

As above, they're perfectly acceptable on a run and it's not too difficult to get an economic figure, however you'll soon get bored :wink: To be fair, even when you do get enthusiastic, they aren't horrendous - only slightly expensive :smile:

Thanks for your reply. You're so right! Am trying to be disciplined with right foot until i know the car better. How heavy should the clutch be?Mine's like kicking an iron door! i'm also getting little pools of oil in the spark plug wells, so it must be leaking from the rocker cover??

Thanks for your reply. You're so right! Am trying to be disciplined with right foot until i know the car better. How heavy should the clutch be?Mine's like kicking an iron door! i'm also getting little pools of oil in the spark plug wells, so it must be leaking from the rocker cover??
Clutch should be pretty light as I remember

Reactions: sevenfourate
Welcome to the forum and ownership. You may well have some niggles but once sorted these truly are amazing cars, I've just come back from Wales and boy what these cars can do on a twisting long mountain road is incredible. The one thing they definitely are not is good on fuel, the best I've got from my NA is 33.9 which is shocking compared to most other hot hatches but amazing for these cars. I suggest that you be prepared to get between 20-30mpg from general driving.

Reactions: Jimmy
I was really concerned buying my 200 as I was using my GF's 1.1 206! I'm averaging at 30.3 with normal driving and some spirited bursts and it's fine for me. I only use the car at weekends though, so as a daily, it would probably kick my savings in the teeth :smiley:

I do wonder, do you guys read that from the trip computer or compare to what you actually fill up?

The trip computer generally is miles out on the negative side. I've been correcting it on mine and it's now bang on, 7% difference to what it was when standard

Reactions: sevenfourate
I do wonder, do you guys read that from the trip computer or compare to what you actually fill up?

The trip computer generally is miles out on the negative side. I've been correcting it on mine and it's now bang on, 7% difference to what it was when standard

How do you correct it?

Welcome bud! I haven't had mine long either, having come from a BMW 3L diesel the clutch is like a breath of fresh air to be honest! I also read horror stories on poor economy but I averaged almost 35mpg on just motorway journeys from the last tank. I have now found out I have a very sticky rear caliper so I expect that figure to go up as my journeys continue after sorting it out. That was worked out by Fuelly as well.

Hi toRenault sport enthusiasts. Am new to this forum and new to Renault too. Before picking up my 2008 197 Cup today I was already wondering if i'd made a mistake in purchasing it after so many people said fuel consumption on 197 was really poor. So I ran a test. I put 21.5 litres in on a bone dry tank and drove home from Stoke-on-Trent to Westminster (dual carriageway and motorway with gentle throttle and a few blasts here and there). The result was 186 miles on 4.7 gallons, which comes out at 39.6 mpg! ( phew! Have a 1200 mile trip to Lithuania coming up soon and was freaking out somewhat). First thoughts are that it's a very capable and focused car: I love the cup suspension, drilled discs and red brembos, the nimbus grey paint and black speedlines as well as the addictive exhaust howl when you use plenty of revs and right foot. My only small gripe is the industrially heavy clutch, it's like a gym workout! Wishing all of you safe b-road blasts.
That sounds amazing. I can't do anything above 25mg...:coldsweat:

don't take this the wrong way, but who buys a high revving N/A for its fuel consumption i bought mine to be good fun, not think i better not put my toe down because it will cost too much