Gear selection issue

DS197

POTM Winner - June 2017
Paid Member
Coming off a dual carriageway approaching a junction I realised that I couldn't select first and second gear, in addition to the gearstick not self centring. I've just been back in the car and it turns out I can select first and second, however they're a lot closer to third and fourth gear than usual. The gear stick also won't self centre and when coming out of fifth/sixth, there's resistance pushing the gear stick back to the centre.

I'm hoping it's a broken spring, loose fitting or something similar which will be a quick/cheap fix but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've also booked the car in with a local garage for tomorrow.

Could it be the linkage cables? I'm far from an expert on this Davinder, but I'm certain I read of a similar issue on here before, and it turned out to be the cables. Could be a possibility, but hopefully it can be of some use to you.

Reactions: DS197
Could it be the linkage cables? I'm far from an expert on this Davinder, but I'm certain I read of a similar issue on here before, and it turned out to be the cables. Could be a possibility, but hopefully it can be of some use to you.
It certainly could be Jimmy, I had a play with the ones in the engine bay and they were fine, but it could be an issue from the gear stick side. Appreciate your reply mate, fingers crossed it's something simple. Will know tomorrow for sure!

Reactions: Jimmy
It certainly could be Jimmy, I had a play with the ones in the engine bay and they were fine, but it could be an issue from the gear stick side. Appreciate your reply mate, fingers crossed it's something simple. Will know tomorrow for sure!

I had a feeling you'd have considered it, but thought I'd give my two-penneth! Yep, fingers crossed it's a straightforward fix for you. Keep us posted.

Hopefully cheap and quick fix mate. Have heard of this issue recently on here and don’t think it was anything major! Can’t remember what was fixed though sorry:flushed:

Hopefully cheap and quick fix mate. Have heard of this issue recently on here and don’t think it was anything major! Can’t remember what was fixed though sorry:flushed:
No worries mate :smile: The mechanic didn't seem too worried so i'm trying not to stress over it too much. I'm just glad I made it home in one piece, although I can't say I was happy with fresh smell of burnt clutch :tired:

No worries mate :smile: The mechanic didn't seem too worried so i'm trying not to stress over it too much. I'm just glad I made it home in one piece, although I can't say I was happy with fresh smell of burnt clutch :tired:
Clutch smell doesn’t sound to clever!
Keep us posted Davinder

The gear stick also won't self centre and when coming out of fifth/sixth, there's resistance pushing the gear stick back to the centre.

I'm hoping it's a broken spring, loose fitting or something similar which will be a quick/cheap fix but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've also booked the car in with a local garage for tomorrow.
i have not got your first issue with selecting 1st and 2nd but coming out of 6th is a bit dodgy too..like you described above hence my baby going to visit Trevor soon..already made the arrangements..will let you know or you will let us know...

An update as promised and it's a good one! It turns out that the gear linkage cables had come loose/away from the gearbox side. All fixed and adjusted for £30 from a local garage (who i'll be leaving a review for on here) which I thought was very fair.

The mechanic said it could be a combination of stiff suspension and changing gear too quickly being the reason why it came loose. Also had my clutch changed recently so that may have played a part in it but i'm just happy it's fixed. Thanks for the support as always guys! :french:

An update as promised and it's a good one! It turns out that the gear linkage cables had come loose/away from the gearbox side. All fixed and adjusted for £30 from a local garage (who i'll be leaving a review for on here) which I thought was very fair.

The mechanic said it could be a combination of stiff suspension and changing gear too quickly being the reason why it came loose. Also had my clutch changed recently so that may have played a part in it but i'm just happy it's fixed. Thanks for the support as always guys! :french:
Great news Davinder!!
Enjoy the weekend bud

Reactions: sevenfourate
Excellent, as per the review thread I'm really pleased you sorted it out for a good price in the end, and found a good garage to use in the future. Seems my suggestion was right in the end - no one will be more surprised at that as I am :smile:

Awesome Davinder - nice to hear a good cheap result on something like this for a change :smiley:
Ain't that the truth Chris! I've had my fair share of bad luck so was due an easy break for once :smile:

Excellent, as per the review thread I'm really pleased you sorted it out for a good price in the end, and found a good garage to use in the future. Seems my suggestion was right in the end - no one will be more surprised at that as I am :smile:
You'll be my first port of call from now on Jimmy :wink:

Reactions: Jimmy and Chris