Gearbox linkage cables & crunch

Hello,

I have recently repaired (replaced) my 3rd gear synchromesh as I had the usual problem as many clios do. The garage guy checked all the other synchros and he said they were fine, so no replacement was needed.

I recently started noticing crunching on the 4th and 6th (!!!) gears, however I am not sure it is a synchro problem. The gear lever doesn't always come back to the centre automatically and I can make it stay inbetween gears quite easily. This makes me think that the linkage cables need replacing.
Could worn cables cause such crunching similar to worn synchro?

Where can I get cables at decent price? I looked on eBay but I couldn't find anything, although I will try again.

I have a full lever and linkage set for sale from a 2012 200.....not sure if will fit a 197 but should do. I fitted a CAE shifter so have the original gear lever and cables spare. Would be looking at £65 excluding postage

I had the issue with the gear lever not centering and it's self and used the click and lot when moved from left to right in neutral.
There is a box under the car behind the exhaust and the heat shield that can be opened, it the underside of the gear lever, in there is a little mount that holds the return spring in the correct location. I've seen this little bolt some loose on a few which causes the gearstick to feel loose around neutral due to the fact the holder for the spring is moving left to right. Bit of a ball to get to but could be worth a check.

Hind sight is a great thing but I would have had all the syncros done when it was apart.

I asked him about it and he said that he checked the synchro and it was fine. Obviously not fine...
He should have done it :/
I will try and get it done under warranty (again).

@Clarki99 I will ask at the garage about the cable compatibility, as MOT is coming up. Can you wait for a week please, before giving the cables away? I'll let you know asap.

Thanks all

Clark, you can give it away if you want... I'm afraid it'll take a bit longer for me to sort this out.
I'll contact you to see if you still have the cables in a month or so.

Sorry!