Gearbox rebuild info

just for those who care, apparantly the boxes from the factory have steel synchros with some form of lining bonded on the inside, speaking to my gearbox man we used for years at my old garage he says to eleviate all the issues with the synchros he rebuilds them with bronze (I think he said... which is what 90% of boxes use) so they never go wrong again, apparantly fifth is bronze anyway (that’s why 3/4/6 are the normal issues) so you just need the other sets doing, 500 for a rebuild and a further 200 quid for dropping the car off and then removing the box

If I want a clutch doing at the same time just pop it in the boot... job sorted, 700 quid done and dusted

just for those who care, apparantly the boxes from the factory have steel synchros with some form of lining bonded on the inside, speaking to my gearbox man we used for years at my old garage he says to eleviate all the issues with the synchros he rebuilds them with bronze (I think he said... which is what 90% of boxes use) so they never go wrong again, apparantly fifth is bronze anyway (that’s why 3/4/6 are the normal issues) so you just need the other sets doing, 500 for a rebuild and a further 200 quid for dropping the car off and then removing the box

If I want a clutch doing at the same time just pop it in the boot... job sorted, 700 quid done and dusted
Erm, Renault actually swapped over to the steel synchro from the bronze/brass rings on 3rd and 4th mate. 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th are all bronze/brass rings.

There will be some sort of inherent issue inside the tl4 that causes the synchro issues on 3rd and 4th gear imo. Whether it’s down to the speeds of the gears the rings are trying to slow down, oil flow to the synchro hubs, the selector mechanism..........I could go on and on.

I’ve currently got a lad using a box I rebuilt and he’s done 12k on the steel synchros. Still no issues. He’s also running the oil I specified.

Well I’m just passing on what he says, reckons steel synchros are the issue, 12k is nowt in the life of a gearbox really as you well know, Chris at mister gearbox in Sheffield is my go to man regarding gearboxes so I trust him and what he says... like I say it’s just a bit of info for people to take note of or ignore...

Out of interest what gear oil did you recommend? 75/90 was general stuff for all the pug boxes pretty much at my old place

There’s always issues with various boxes, we used to put half a litre extra in traffic/primastar/vivaro 6 speeds as sixth used to run low on oil and die, fill em to normal, then bung em and then add half a litre through the top of the box

Erm, Renault actually swapped over to the steel synchro from the bronze/brass rings on 3rd and 4th mate. 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th are all bronze/brass rings.

There will be some sort of inherent issue inside the tl4 that causes the synchro issues on 3rd and 4th gear imo. Whether it’s down to the speeds of the gears the rings are trying to slow down, oil flow to the synchro hubs, the selector mechanism..........I could go on and on.

I’ve currently got a lad using a box I rebuilt and he’s done 12k on the steel synchros. Still no issues. He’s also running the oil I specified.

The answer is in the last sentence . I assume those are bronze coated steel synchros ? If you use bronze synchros you need to use a GL4 spec oil not a GL5 . GL5 spec oils have additives that corrode the bronze synchro rings , or a better explanation is the contact surface is gauled . Therefore affecting the speed of the two components creating the crunch . This is a well known fact on a lot of Ferrari boxes . The 360 especially . Redline oils are very good at helping this problem .

Reactions: Northloopcup
The answer is in the last sentence . I assume those are bronze coated steel synchros ? If you use bronze synchros you need to use a GL4 spec oil not a GL5 . GL5 spec oils have additives that corrode the bronze synchro rings , or a better explanation is the contact surface is gauled . Therefore affecting the speed of the two components creating the crunch . This is a well known fact on a lot of Ferrari boxes . The 360 especially . Redline oils are very good at helping this problem .
And it’s redline oils that I recommend as well....

Reactions: duck.co.za