Gears

Cutting to the chase... Basically jumped in my car earlier today after not driving her for about 5 days and literally it would NOT go into gear.

I forced it with a lottttt of force into 3rd as its easiest to go into but I needed to reverse so kept trying to ram it into reverse but it would not budge. Finally got it into 1st but that was still no good and felt like i was going to snap the gear stick once i got it into reverse.

NOT GOOD. Could I take it to renault and explain this and expect them to replace it??

Any advice appreciated :thumbup:

Not a clue whether it would be that. May have to take it to renault but by the time i drive it there it will be warm and have no trouble

I noticed something similar after having the car stationary for about two weeks. It was impossible to get it into 1st or 2nd gear. I had to get the gearbox into reverse before it would accept 1st or 2nd. After that, it was fine.

I asked about this on the Greek Renault Owners forum and most of the 197/200 owners replied that they had at some point encountered this problem, always after a long period of not having driven the car. Another in the long list of Renault quirks? Who knows.

If your gearbox works as it should after the hiccup, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it :wink:

My car is forever garaged for weeks and sometimes months at a time and i've only ever experienced small difficulty getting into first. Try sticking it in reverse, dip the clutch and then start it. That way it's in gear before you start it.