Gearstick choices.

Besides the CAE kit, are there any other options to bring the shifter closer to the wheel, ie taller.

I know there's a few kits for the Mk2s, but there seems to be nothing available for the Mk3, besides the crushingly expensive CAE.

Thanks.

I was thinking this too Christopher, for 1#2s there is Modded Scenic shifters, BMS, PMS etc.

Following for interest.....

I was thinking, all I think me and @Christopher would like is a taller stick, but if you do that the throw becomes much longer (angle is the same, the end point then gets further from the pivot point, so a longer throw).

So Mtech do a short shifter mechanism, about 30% shorter, so if you then made the stick circa 30% longer, in theory you should get OEM throw, but with a longer lever (aka closer to the steering wheel)....maybe? Lol

EDIT: forgot to mention, but then the reverse selector then could become a problem... :worried:

Last edited:
I was thinking, all I think me and @Christopher would like is a taller stick, but if you do that the throw becomes much longer (angle is the same, the end point then gets further from the pivot point, so a longer throw).

So Mtech do a short shifter mechanism, about 30% shorter, so if you then made the stick circa 30% longer, in theory you should get OEM throw, but with a longer lever (aka closer to the steering wheel)....maybe? Lol

EDIT: forgot to mention, but then the reverse selector then could become a problem... :worried:

Yup, I've ordered buckets so in theory I'll be lower now anyway.

You can't use generic extended knobs because of the push-fit caps and reverse lockout that Renault use. :worried: Good thinking though.

Reactions: suj
Yup, I've ordered buckets so in theory I'll be lower now anyway.

You can't use generic extended knobs because of the push-fit caps and reverse lockout that Renault use. :worried: Good thinking though.

I thought as much, the quest continues..... lol

What Buckets did you go for? Corbeau Clubsports?

I thought as much, the quest continues..... lol

What Buckets did you go for? Corbeau Clubsports?

Yep. Clubsports with OMP fixed subframes, so they'll sit nice and low. Using an adapter for OE seat belts.

Also placed a beefy order with Royal Steering Wheels for a 'few' bits...

Roll on the second week of April!

Yep. Clubsports with OMP fixed subframes, so they'll sit nice and low. Using an adapter for OE seat belts.

Also placed a beefy order with Royal Steering Wheels for a 'few' bits...

Roll on the second week of April!

Great work, cannot wait to see it all, will finally follow your thread now you put it up.

Reactions: Christopher
fitting bucket seat won't bring your shifter closer to the wheel (unless you lower the steering column, but from my point of view there is no need for it even after lowering siting position).
I ended up buying CAE shifter (also because it comes with haevy-duty shift cables - it has happened to me few times lately that OEM cable poped out in the middle of fast shifting from 4th to 5th resulting in a dangerous misshift and leaving me without 5th and 6th gear).
before
20160424_185717.jpg this is how it looks now (wiring loom being redone so in progress shots only)
20170320_111404.jpg
20170320_111506.jpg

Other options i considered was fabricating some extension to original lever along with Mtech short shifter
and lately I discovered that Kalatzisport developed its own shifter similar to CAE but utilizing original cables, don't know the pricing but considering upgraded cables cost 300 euro alone it should be somewhat cheaper than CAE
13781848_1799139666971750_7484454749896082712_n.jpg

13770311_1799139840305066_5487811285290388875_n.jpg

Oh wow! I love a CAE Shifter, shame they are soooo much.
Kalatzisport shifter looks good though, thanks for the heads up.

That isn't too bad, as the Mtech short shifting mechanism is £100+ alone.

Jacool, can you adjust the CAE to be effectively standard throw at the box? I'd like the shifter closer but last thing I want is to rush the synchros on the TL4!

Also a company called Metal2Racing do them.
Facebook/racingm2 I think it's.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jacool, can you adjust the CAE to be effectively standard throw at the box? I'd like the shifter closer but last thing I want is to rush the synchros on the TL4!

Also a company called Metal2Racing do them.
Facebook/racingm2 I think it's.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
no You can't, the throw is really short, have to admit. But I don't care about synchros that much

Reactions: TB Rich and suj
I'm working on relocating the standard shifter. I find the throw and response of the oem setup to be very good, just be nice if it was a little higher.. + for the price, CAE is a lot for what it is really!

I'm working on relocating the standard shifter. I find the throw and response of the oem setup to be very good, just be nice if it was a little higher.. + for the price, CAE is a lot for what it is really!

Exactly my thoughts. Keep us updated, I'd love to know more.

Exactly my thoughts. Keep us updated, I'd love to know more.

Why not I say mate! It's what people with cable linkage boxes have been doing for years!

CAE looks the tits, but that's a year of track days for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you Josh, I love the shift, just want it closer to the wheel.
My mate who works for an OEM doing shifter quality was well impressed with the shift as standard, so you know it's good!

Keep us posted (I follow your thread anyways).

Reactions: A1axx