Generic "what's this sound" post

RossWoods93

Cuckmeister General
Platinum Member
So I've just parked up and my home, and as I reversed into my bay I had the door open to make sure I was tight against the line, and it made what sounded like a fair squeal as I started moving backwards from underneath the car...

So I sat there in neutral, handbrake on just working the revs, and managed to hold the revs at about 1,100/1,200 revs where this "squeal" would be constant... when revving slowly it appeared to squeak in this rev band! low and behold by the time I got my phone out to record it, the problem cleared!

Being the paranoid type, has anyone got any ideas to throw in the mix? Currently 40,000 and in for a service next week so I'll be sure to mention it!

Aha I do remember that reading through that how to, as the word "spunky" really did stick out in that guide

Last edited:
Reactions: Dystant
My PCV valve only made strange noises when the engine was cold, but it could be that mate as @Micah mentioned, check out my guide and give it a clean, it's a really quick job :smile:

Depending on noise it could also be one of your exhaust manifold flexi pipes gone, having vibrations at certain revs can make similar squeaking noises.

If I search "spunky" into urban dictionary and I don't see a suggested phrase of "your PCV valve may be spunky" I'll be most disappointed!

This was after a 10 minute drive back from work, I wouldn't have heard it if I didn't have the door open mind! Can't hear it in the cabin...

Reactions: Dystant
Hope you get to the source of the noise Ross... Opening any kind of aperture while driving in a Clio is a recipe for aural disaster! Keep everything closed and then you can carry on in blissful ignorance :smile:

Hope you get to the source of the noise Ross... Opening any kind of aperture while driving in a Clio is a recipe for aural disaster! Keep everything closed and then you can carry on in blissful ignorance :smile:

Service lights just come on, so should be in with Renault next week! I'll give it a mention to them... 40,000 and 5 years old so fingers crossed it won't be too bad! Next years the big service!

Reactions: Jimmy

To a passenger: Get in, sit down, shut up, oh and don't open the window or door etc don't wanna hear the outside noise lol. Cabin noise of engine and exhaust will do just fine. Lol

Reactions: Jimmy
So I've managed to capture this "noise", feel free to view a thrilling 25 seconds here ->

The constant squeal is when the revs are held at 1100/1200

Apologies to Ben for sticking out with his fix for only a day...

Further apologies for the state of the car, it's a dirty time of year!

Yeah yours look ok! :thumb:

Not sure what else could be, mine sounded very similar to yours when mine had snapped.

Edit: have you got an aftermarket exhaust?

Reactions: RossWoods93