Going to view my first 197 today.... any tips?

l33th3tr33

Paid Member
Hi guys, been lurking for a couple days and got to say, it seems like a great forum. I've been a member of CS.net for years and after a couple years without an RS I'm itching for another.
I'm viewing a 197 today and was wondering if there's anything to look out for that I may miss, I know about the heater controls (will need a resistor as no fan speed 2) but other than that and a small hole on the bolster the car seems very genuine.

Any help will be really appreciated!

Hi Lee, welcome to the forum. As above, reading through the Buyers Guide is an absolute must - it contains everything you'll need to know and look out for when viewing a 197.

If you can, view at least two examples, as this will give you a better idea of what constitutes a good car and a bad car. There are some very good ones out there, but also some dogs that might look nice in the photos, but really don't come up to scratch in reality. Keep your eyes wide open. Please feel free to post links on here so we can offer our opinions, and also ask any questions that you like - we can give honest, educated and unbiased answers.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on :smile:

Reactions: ///M
Welcome Lee.

As above, know the buyers guide inside out and have it saved to your phone for reference when looking at the car.

Absolutely do not be afraid to walk away, there are plenty available and you'll find a good one if you try.

Best of luck mate.

Good luck today Lee ! How was it ?

DONT rush into anything is the very best advice i can give. Definitely a buyers market with these. So test drive a few and get a feel as to whats a good one. The ignore financial sense and jump on it. You wont regret i promise.

A car that makes you feel special every outing.

Enjoy the forum :smile:

Well Guys first off thanks for the warm welcome!
I ended up getting the first one I viewed as it had the best history out of all the ones I had planned on seeing, some turned out to have missing belt info but this one was done in the last 20k/1year, plus new discs, pads and tyres all round. Only a couple niggles with it, stone chips and a small 5p sized hole in the bolster, doesn't bother me as I'll get it repaired. It doesn't have xenons which I did want, only halogens but I'll get some projectors for it at some point if the halogens are that bad.
the cabasse unit it came with doesn't turn on but I've chucked my own head unit in it already anyway so no problem there, although I do want to get the stalk controls to work so I'll look into that.
It's an ultra red, pretty much poverty spec (manual heater controls, headlights etc) but I love it! Can't believe how well they pull through the gears especially 6th, and 29mpg on the motorway which is a hell of a lot better than the bmw it's replaced!

Looking forward to getting stuck in and tidying it up, it'll be as OEM as possible with subtle mods/additiions, the complete opposite the the stripped 172 cup I had previously.
Pics will be up when the weather improves and it's had a good clean.
Thanks guys!

I ended up getting the first one I viewed as it had the best history out of all the ones I had planned on seeing, some turned out to have missing belt info but this one was done in the last 20k/1year, plus new discs, pads and tyres all round. Only a couple niggles with it, stone chips and a small 5p sized hole in the bolster, doesn't bother me as I'll get it repaired. It doesn't have xenons which I did want, only halogens but I'll get some projectors for it at some point if the halogens are that bad.
the cabasse unit it came with doesn't turn on but I've chucked my own head unit in it already anyway so no problem there, although I do want to get the stalk controls to work so I'll look into that.
It's an ultra red, pretty much poverty spec (manual heater controls, headlights etc) but I love it! Can't believe how well they pull through the gears especially 6th, and 29mpg on the motorway which is a hell of a lot better than the bmw it's replaced!

Looking forward to getting stuck in and tidying it up, it'll be as OEM as possible with subtle mods/additiions, the complete opposite the the stripped 172 cup I had previously.
Thanks guys!

HUGE CONGRATS !!!

Pics pics pics pics and more pics needed already :smile:

Hope you and yours have a great relationship and you enjoy it like I love mine...

Welcome to the RS club 'proper'.

Reactions: l33th3tr33
HUGE CONGRATS !!!

Pics pics pics pics and more pics needed already :smile:

Hope you and yours have a great relationship and you enjoy it like I love mine...

Welcome to the RS club 'proper'.
Thank you! As said, I love it.
Steering will take some getting used to as it's so lively compared to the mk2's as are the brakes!
Pics will come when it's had a good wash, it currently has about 200 miles of dirt from todays trip...
Just paid for the membership so I can get a good look into any guides I may need as well as what parts are for sale.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Thank you! As said, I love it.
Steering will take some getting used to as it's so lively compared to the mk2's as are the brakes!
Pics will come when it's had a good wash, it currently has about 200 miles of dirt from todays trip...
Just paid for the membership so I can get a good look into any guides I may need as well as what parts are for sale.

Membership = THE best investment you've made today :smile:

Reactions: Gregor
Congrulations!

Is it really ultra red 197? Welcome to the club. How many previous owners? Pics!
I have UR 197 too, i recommend to retrofit projector lights. Easy job.
Here is pic of my car with projectors. Light power is quite impressive with Osram nightbreaker ultimate bulbs.
Another good thing with projector & good bulbs is that your car is still mot friendly. At least here in my country (Finland) it is mot failure if you have aftermarket retrofit xenon bulbs.
There is good how to for removing front bumper to access light unit bolts. If you have any questions about front lights i can help.

medium.jpg

Thanks guys!

Great news! Really pleased for you that it turned out to be a good one and that you're so happy with it! Good colour to have, and it sounds like it'll be well looked after in your ownership!

Looking forward to the pics and to seeing you around on the forum!

congrats mate..hope you are happy with it and it brings lots of smiles in the future..:thumb:

Well it had a quick wash earlier, didn't have time for a proper clean.... it really needs it due to tar spots etc. Found a couple of patches of touch up paint done by none other than stevie wonder so I'll wet sand those down before giving it a once over with a DA to see where it stands correction wise.
Just grabbed a couple pics of it on the driveway so you get a jist of what I'm working with.

a88248932494631d464f28a4d7e9af11.jpg
1c9c0f89f3babc2da687683ac65f537e.jpg
fe07d941ed50bad1efc29b2ab69d9b8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jimmy
It is like my cars twinsister when i bought it. I recommend that you spray those radiator grilles semi gloss black, it makes really difference.

Reactions: Pav
It is like my cars twinsister when i bought it. I recommend that you spray those radiator grilles semi gloss black, it makes really difference.

I'll be doing one better, getting new. Providing they aren't silly money, in which case I'll plastidip them as it lasts longer and doesn't chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I recommend that you spray those with semi gloss satin black. Results are great. New grills are approx 60-70£ for pair, but painting is much cheaper..

Here is result of my painting:

medium.jpg