Got The R27 MOT'd Today. Dilemma Now.

IMG_0669.jpg

So the car passed with flying colours but I now have a dilemma. The reason I bought this car was because of the mileage and condition. When I drive it I love it but the selfish side of me says keep the miles low. I know it no V6 and not going to double in price overnight but as time goes on I have a feeling the R27 will be sought after especially in Liquid Yellow. As you can see from the MOT certificate it's hardly been used and at one point covered very little miles in 2 years. The car was owned by a former member who looked after it mechanically and is in pristine condition. So what should I do? Keep it as it is or enjoy it for what it is. All comments welcome.

I tend to agree with you Colin - especially in terms of your example. If i had a big enough place with some land / a barn etc and could store a car at "no cost" - right now i'd buy something.

As i don't and that would mean renting / buying / not having my investment with me on my doorstep i cant see an easy or cheap way to do it.

Thats my bottom line really.........

I must say I love seeing older cars with low miles and looking mint and original. We as buyers decide how much a car is worth, my only thing with the R27 is do enough people think it's a future classic? I would be interested to see if mine is one of the lowest mileages in the UK and what are the thoughts of other low mileage owners.

Tough dilemma Colin but a nice one. I would agree with above in that if I could own a car and keep it as a garage queen whilst having another car/bike to hammer when I wanted then that's cake and it eat:grinning:

Reactions: Jimmy
Tough dilemma Colin but a nice one. I would agree with above in that if I could own a car and keep it as a garage queen whilst having another car/bike to hammer when I wanted then that's cake and it eat:grinning:
I'm sort of spoilt for choice at the minute. The 182 is my daily and doesn't owe me a penny, the R1 is my fun/fast toy which leaves me with the R27 to admire. I work locally so even the 182 has low miles. My search for a decent R27 took a year and when I spotted this one I couldn't let it go. Any new cars I like are around the £30k mark so I justify having three vehicles because of this if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Big Ben
I'll be totally honest with my thoughts, I have never bought a car as an investment but I have bought super low miles, super clean examples, tvr's porsche's etc, I've put next to no miles on them and detailed them to within a inch of their life and been totally miserable! Never felt like ownership to me just hardship! I'll never keep another car like that again! As you know, I too have a mint example of an r27, which has only done about 6k a year and owned by a fellow detailer, yes they probably will go up in the future, how much! Don't know but I'd say you'll be waiting a while before your paying 15k plus for one! Taking into account what you paid, running costs etc until they ever see that money, are they really what you would call a solid investment? to me your just keeping it good for someone else to enjoy! That's all I feel I ever done! Just my thoughts having been in the same position many times, tbh it was a relief getting rid of them.

I done the same with my 4th and last Impreza, I bought it brand new but by that time the Subaru novelty had worn off so just kept it detailed and barely done any miles in it. Sold it to my boss who has turned it into a 500bhp track weapon.

I don't see the R27 as a hardship or it being a 'miserable' car as I said I like to see older cars looking new. I'm a realist so understand it's not an investment but as more and more of these cars get written off or scrapped because of high mileage maybe just maybe these cars will become more appealing.

Bud, it's just down to ownership experience at the end of the day, if you can and want to keep it as new then that's what to do if that's what you enjoy in ownership, nearly everything has the potential to become a 'future classic' the rarer they get, it will always come down to condition, model, milage and year, the effect of milage on a price is just going to be pro rata on the value of the vehicle at the end of the day, if they get to 20k it will prob be a difference in 3-4K extra for a mint one with low milage and 40k and 5-6k extra from a mint one with low milage but how long before prices get there if ever, those v6 clios are sitting at 30k plus but they don't seem to be selling to quickly.

When I was in the TVR ownership stage, low milage cars actually scared people off as they assumed the car had been sitting around to long and it needed recommissioning before proper use at quite a high cost and believe it of not the ones with an engine rebuild commanded higher money due to piece of mind (granted the speed six original engine had a few issues).

It really is a can of worms but at the end of the day it's what ever makes you happy, as long as some day you can look back and say you could not have enjoyed your cars anymore then your sorted, if you can't then look at how you could enjoy them more and go with that :smile:

Colin.

Although it's a dilemma for you, I'm kind of happy to see this post. I've often wondered how much it actually moves and how much you really enjoy it.

I totally get what you're saying here. It's not at all about the investment, it's about having an absolutely mint and thoroughly perfect example of a really special car that we won't see the likes of again. Given where you're at with the car, I think the right thing to do would be to carry on as you are. It's already SO low miles compared to every other car available.

But, in your position, I KNOW I'd feel like I really wanted to drive it.

How wedded to the 182 are you? Sell it and get another cheaper R27 and enjoy the hell out of it and not worry about the miles?

Still not enough pics of this car...

Reactions: Cossers and LOCKE
Some brilliant answers already. I agree with Ben in that it's a very nice dilemma to be in. And quite a rare one too I'd imagine, for the R27? For that reason, it might well be worth staying as you are and keeping the miles off it - you have the 'luxury' of a daily and a fun toy in the bike, so you have the capacity to keep the miles off the F1 and perhaps reap the financial benefits down the line - how much so - as above - is anyone's guess right now.

For me personally, my R27 has high miles (compared to yours, however they're average for the age) and I admit that I'd prefer the mileage to be lower. However it's my only form of transport, so I use it in every way you can as a daily, plus I thoroughly enjoy driving it for fun. So, there's no way of keeping the miles off it. I also agree with the fact that cars are made to be driven, and it's shame if they're not (perhaps that's another way for me to justify using mine the way I do and keeping adding miles on :smile: ).

So, my very long-winded point is: everyone's circumstances are different, and we all want what we can't have a lot of the time :smile: never straightforward is it!

Reactions: LOCKE and Cossers
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess you know how I feel and for as long as I can I will keep the miles off the R27 and just pamper it. The car will get serviced by myself annually regardless of mileage. Don't expect a big modded progress thread! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jimmy
If I could afford my dream car a Ferrari 330-P3 at 20 million plus I'd still have to track it even though it's like finding hen's teeth.They were built to be abused and enjoyed on the black stuff buy one day track next that's my motto @LOCKE ps hope you're Son is driving you nutzzzzzzzzzzzz

If I could afford my dream car a Ferrari 330-P3 at 20 million plus I'd still have to track it even though it's like finding hen's teeth.They were built to be abused and enjoyed on the black stuff buy one day track next that's my motto @LOCKE ps hope you're Son is driving you nutzzzzzzzzzzzz
He went to see the new Fast and Furious movie with his pals today even though we were supposed to go together. Raging! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
I say drive it like its meant to be driven, my mk1 golf is 33 years old and has done over 20 trackdays, (not a brag just a point) alot more worth than alot of cars, no good it tucked up in a garage drive it and experiance it let all the youngsters see these different cars as soon there will be none to show, service it like you said, keep it in good shape and dont worry about the mileage its not a classic, i never buy a car based on mileage the one time i did the headgasket blew up, somone could hit you up the arse tomorrow (touch wood no one does) and what you left with a car that never reached its potential. @LOCKE. thats just my way of thinking, each to there own as i say

Reactions: Jimmy and LOCKE

Similar Thread Suggestions