Greg's Albi Blue Clio 200

Only 2 pics from today's car cleaning 'session'.

32086992390_0bcde6e6c1_o.pngDSC_0023 by Gregory Berry, on Flickr

32086994360_e6c4b8483e_o.pngDSC_0024 by Gregory Berry, on Flickr

This colour is awesome when it's clean, which is a rarity. Also, went down a country lane and got forced into some bushes, queue fine scratches down the side. Oh well, polishing session in the spring! The tyre gel was applied last week, Meguairs Endurance Tyre Gel, gives a good satin finish, I'm not a fan of shiny tyres.

I received my Renault Sport gear knob, and now I know the feeling of cold knobs in the morning...

I also redid the brakes. Removed the pads and cleaned up the caliper to try and remove a slight squeak when braking moderately. No noise light braking or hard braking. I went for a spin and that didn't do anything so I decided to see if they needed to be bed in a bit more. A few 60 to 20mph hard braking seems to have solved it. These brakes are insane when they are warm and working at their best. Nearly pulled my face off!

This is going to sound a bit weird for someone who has been on this forum for a year now, but Speedlines on an Albi look immense! I've never seen that before!

Cars looking great mate :thumb:

How come yours has the old RenaultSport logo on the rear? I thought the 200s had the newer logo? :think:

So on the news that we'll be getting a stand at Cliosport festival, I've been planning on what I want to do. I'll have paid off some debts soon so I will have some spare income that I can use. Its been a bit tight these last few months.

Starting off with giving it some TLC. In the year I've owned it, I've done 20k miles... New engine oil and gearbox oil.

32670243726_d89ac72d93_o.pngDSC_0019 by Gregory Berry, on Flickr

Next month will be new rear discs, then the following month new steering wheel, powder coated wheels, cambelt change and then a remap. Getting exited :smiley:

I need to decide on what the steering wheel will be re-trimmed as. I am just thinking plain leather top and bottom and perforated sides, as it is from the factory?

Also, is powder coating stronger/more resistant compared to just paint? I don't want to get them redone if they are just going to get stone chips etc.

Reactions: Jimmy
So on the news that we'll be getting a stand at Cliosport festival, I've been planning on what I want to do. I'll have paid off some debts soon so I will have some spare income that I can use. Its been a bit tight these last few months.

Starting off with giving it some TLC. In the year I've owned it, I've done 20k miles... New engine oil and gearbox oil.

32670243726_d89ac72d93_o.pngDSC_0019 by Gregory Berry, on Flickr

Next month will be new rear discs, then the following month new steering wheel, powder coated wheels, cambelt change and then a remap. Getting exited :smiley:

I need to decide on what the steering wheel will be re-trimmed as. I am just thinking plain leather top and bottom and perforated sides, as it is from the factory?

Also, is powder coating stronger/more resistant compared to just paint? I don't want to get them redone if they are just going to get stone chips etc.
Can't beat a bit of TLC Greg.!

+1 for your steering wheel choice.

I've just had wheels powder coated and they look great. Can't tell you wether they chip or not yet though!

Sounds good Greg..lots of good things will be happening to you baby..maintenance comes first..
Do some YouTube research but I believe that if correctly done,powder coat is a very strong layer if protection...

More purchases to give it some TLC. Rear discs at quite a good price. I'm glad I waited. £160 delivered for genuine parts.

32772470625_10750dcaee_o.png

31958409593_7eb1b5516b_o.png

Next will be the steering wheel... Got to do some research on how to take the steering wheel off without either blowing myself up in the face with the airbag or wrecking it in some way. I know I have to disconnect the battery etc, I just need to figure out how to remove the spring to release the airbag. Straightforward from there on I think.

More purchases to give it some TLC. Rear discs at quite a good price. I'm glad I waited. £160 delivered for genuine parts.

32772470625_10750dcaee_o.png

31958409593_7eb1b5516b_o.png

Next will be the steering wheel... Got to do some research on how to take the steering wheel off without either blowing myself up in the face with the airbag or wrecking it in some way. I know I have to disconnect the battery etc, I just need to figure out how to remove the spring to release the airbag. Straightforward from there on I think.
Just a word of advice on the discs mate, Renault being Renault have finally used a rustproof coating on the discs but not enough so there's still a part on the discs that the pad doesn't come into contact with. Although it's only a small amount, I thought i'd mention it.

Reactions: Pav and Greg0986
Thanks! I was going to paint them before I noticed that they were already coated. Should I still paint them?
No worries, had both mine replaced last week and was not impressed when I had a look at them this morning! If it were me i'd paint them, but give me a few minutes and i'll upload a quick pic of what mine are like. It's only a small ring of rust to be fair.

ETA: Not the best pic but you can see they greyish ring just above where the black coating finishes with spots of rust on there.

9381AA37-8343-4CD4-876B-6DBB66F35E64_zpsy1jefueo.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg0986
Anyone know anywhere in the South West where I can get my lower ball joint replaced? I don't really want to fork out and buy the whole hub. Aaron's Autos in Derby do it, but I don't really fancy a 3 hour drive.

Sounds like a dying cat...

So, after all the recommendations on here ( :worried: ), I spoke to Aaron's Auto's and booked it in for Saturday 25th for the lower swivel joints to be replaced. And while they are at it they are going to change the gearbox and engine oil. Top lads!

Last edited:
Reactions: ///M and Sean197
New rear Discs and Pads are on and I serviced the calipers while I was there! The 18mm bolts that hold the caliper bracket on are a ***** to remove, it took 15 minutes with a hammer to remove each one!

Also, I had to take the caliper off of the brake hose as I couldn't wind the piston back in (with the correct tool), so I had to bleed them.

Went for a test drive and it feels spongy? Almost like I have to press firmer for the brakes to work fully? I might get it in the garage and get them to do a brake fluid change. Anyone know the going rate? If it's too much, I will do it myself :tongueout:

No pics as it was getting dark.