Gripper Gearbox Issues

I have used the millers 75/140 oil in my I press box at over 500Lb/ft this will not cause any issues with the synchro's. The reason people use this oil is more for shock load protection for the gears if anything it will protect more than a standard oil.

Yeah, I've since noticed it is GL4 compliant, so assumed it wouldn't harm the synchro rings. Bloody expensive stuff though, and that's another 2litres I need to throw away (recycle) now!!!!

Sad news mate. Defo best to transplant it into a new box, sounds terminal if you've lost that gear completely. Worth stripping the gripper and inspecting the condition of it while it's apart too.
I'm confident about stripping the box, and replacing synchro rings, but stripping the gripper - that might be a step too far ;-)

Reactions: tombate911
Good luck getting the bolt out the shaft if you're replacing 3rd/4th gear synchro. You need a special tool to hold the shaft, and that bolt is über tight.

Good luck getting the bolt out the shaft if you're replacing 3rd/4th gear synchro. You need a special tool to hold the shaft, and that bolt is über tight.
The box I took apart few weeks ago didn't actually have that bolt, which I thought was strange.

Just looked at the technical sheet - looking at the type of bolt this is (hollow bolt) I think that's why I've missed it.