Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
So it looks like if you've got past 20k miles your generally ok?

If you have and changed to a better quality oil things are better?

Have i read somewere the earlier gearboxes have a different code? so the later box is better?

So it looks like if you've got past 20k miles your generally ok?

If you have and changed to a better quality oil things are better?

Have i read somewere the earlier gearboxes have a different code? so the later box is better?

not sure about a different oil however i do believe your right with old/recent gear boxes mate remember this was on the old site about newer ones ect think there was also something mentioned about a newer ecu code aswell

Seems I may have spoken too early. Our 200 box is now grinding into 4th. Regardless of how gentle you change it's grinding. Trip to the dealers for us tomorrow.

Noddie mine started on 3rd then 4th the next day so dont take there bull **** Renault told me it was fine even although I lived with it for another few k miles till they replaced it.

Noddie mine started on 3rd then 4th the next day so dont take there bull **** Renault told me it was fine even although I lived with it for another few k miles till they replaced it.

I had been to Renault earlier in the year complaining of a "clicky" change into 4th. The said that was normal so lived with it. Now though it is a definate grind.

Mine has done 33,000 on a 57 plate. A couple of weeks ago I started to notice a grinding into $th gear, took it to Renault and its the 4th gear synchro gone, took it to some other garages and all the same answer, Renault will put 50% towards it as a known fault but original prices are £1450 to repair it or £2180 for a new gearbox (all excluding VAT too). Took my argument up with Renault UK who eventually agreed that if I replace the gearbox they'll put about 85% towards it, I cant get out of paying the VAT on it though so its going in Wednesday for £770.

Apparently one of the technicians has a 200 and his 2nd gear synchro went a few months ago after 9,000 miles, annoying!!

Mine has done 33,000 on a 57 plate. A couple of weeks ago I started to notice a grinding into $th gear, took it to Renault and its the 4th gear synchro gone, took it to some other garages and all the same answer, Renault will put 50% towards it as a known fault but original prices are £1450 to repair it or £2180 for a new gearbox (all excluding VAT too). Took my argument up with Renault UK who eventually agreed that if I replace the gearbox they'll put about 85% towards it, I cant get out of paying the VAT on it though so its going in Wednesday for £770.

Apparently one of the technicians has a 200 and his 2nd gear synchro went a few months ago after 9,000 miles, annoying!!

Very unfortunate to happen outside of warrenty.

We're still waiting on work from Renault as to when the gearbox will come into stock as they have none at the mo!

My 4th syncro went after 15k lol - made of butter. The new one isn't much better either, f*cking terrible when cold. It makes me so nervous owning it outside of warranty.

I have garage time scheduled monday 10.00 so i can then give some comments how redline gearbox oils work with 197 box.

Interesting read
Just notice mines stating to crunch going into 4th.

Is noticed this thread a while ago but didn't read it until now , and you guys are describing what I think it may be so I will see how it goes as I'm working weekend driving to and from work . So as its under warranty it will be going in very soon me thinks

Interesting read
Just notice mines stating to crunch going into 4th.

Is noticed this thread a while ago but didn't read it until now , and you guys are describing what I think it may be so I will see how it goes as I'm working weekend driving to and from work . So as its under warranty it will be going in very soon me thinks

Yeah I'd get it looked at as soon as you can. We are still waiting on Renault getting stock. You don't realise how much you use 4th until you can't use it.

Yeah I'd get it looked at as soon as you can. We are still waiting on Renault getting stock. You don't realise how much you use 4th until you can't use it.

When I drove it yesterday it crunched ,it was slight and faint but you know how it is , started to think- maybe I didn't press clutch down enough ,seat in wrong position etc etc just trying to convince yourself that you ain't got a problem

But it looks like I might :jumpon:

Last edited:
When I drove it yesterday it crunched ,it was slight and faint but you know how it is , started to think- maybe I didn't press clutch down enough ,seat in wrong position etc etc just trying to convince yourself that you ain't got a problem

But it looks like I might :jumpon:

Crunched again on way to work today, now booked into Renault Monday , explained what was happening and that I am aware of the issues people have been having, they said they will change the oil and see what happens .
Like that will sought it

It seems that it's worse if I change from 6 to 4 Not as bad 3 to 4 any one have this

Original box running 333lb/ft through it!! got the meg box incase, but as the meg box was originally for the diesel espace they're pretty **** too...

I have garage time scheduled monday 10.00 so i can then give some comments how redline gearbox oils work with 197 box.

Cant see any difference with redline. Still when box is cold 3 gear would go in smoothly if shifted fast.